Chapter-13 Job And Plan

YN POV

After everyone calm downed, we resume our meeting. The Dryad introduce herself.

Treyni: "Once again my greetings to you, Leader of Monsters, Original and your followers. I am Treyni, a dryad. It nice to meet you all."

She smiled, l like a bud sprouting into a flower. But they were still a sweat running across her face. That was all it took for me to wonder. She is a beautiful girl but not enough to rival destine one. Comparing them is nothing but one-sided. 

Rimuru: "Um, you too. My name's Rimuru. We can keep it casual here, okay? None of that -Leader of the Monster's- crap."

YN: "My name is YN. You can also keep casual here."

I hate formalities the most. It is troublesome to deal with it. This was the reason I rejected Sarena for the secretary post due to her being formal. I even hate when the people who knows me call me with honorifics. 

Rimuru: "So, what did you want to see us for?"

Treyni: "Thank you. I have come here to discuss the events taking place in this forest--- events which, I imagine, you all are aware. As one of the Forest of Jura's appointed wardens, I cannot allow this series of calamities to go unaddressed, and so I have appeared before you. I do so because I hope to join in your conference."

Rimuru: 'Treyni, huh? A named monster, then. High level, no doubt.'

Benimaru: "But why here? Surely there are races more powerful than the goblins you could have turned to for assistance."

Treyni:  "This is the most powerful outpost in the nearby region. The others no longer exist, their people now affiliated with the lizardman known as Gabiru. The treants are incapable of moving from location to location and thus interact little with other races. If they were blighted by an outside enemy or natural disaster, there would be little they could do to defend themselves. We dryads are granted permission to travel to the outside world only in these spiritual forms, and I regret there are but few of us...  If the root cause of all this were to attack the treant community we share our lives with, we lack the numbers to provide them an effective defense. That is why I wish to tap your strength, if I may."

 In contrast to her astounding looks, the way she spoke was oddly calming. They must have been a long-lived race, indeed--- she must've seen a lot over the years. The issue was whether she could be believed. Someone as strong as Ifrit--- several of them, living in this community or whatever--- not even they could handle the orcs. Did she want to use us as bait, maybe? Or was there some other goal?

Hakuro: "You speak of a -root cause-. Does that mean you know what is happening in the forest."

Treyni: "I do. An orc lord is invading it with a vast force in tow."

The freely given revelation plunged the conference room into silence once more.

Benimaru: "Should we take that to mean you have confirmed the orc lord's presence?"

Treyni: "You may. And if they were to turn their sights upon our community of treants, we have no effective way to resist them. They cannot move from where they are rooted, and their mystical magic can do little against an orc race unafraid of death. We could perhaps sear them with flame magic, rendering them into ashes, but that could backfire upon the tree people, and none have mastered it anyway. And anything more powerful than that--- anything that could strike an entire army at once---would wipe the treants out with it. That..."