Chapter-15 Preparation

YN POV

Just as Gobta was reaching out to rescue Gabiru, I was checking out the battle from above with Rimuru.

It was a pretty fearsome sight. The orcs must've thought they had a massive advantage, and now we'd flipped the chessboard on them... Just us originals, a slime and a few ogre mages, really. I couldn't blame them for freaking out. 

Past

After Rimuru sent Souei off to lizardmen, he looks at me.

Rimuru: "The one who will lead us in the war is Yn. So, we all will follow his orders."

I was looking at him with dumbfound expression. And before I knew it. Everyone agreed to it and hence I will be the leader during this war.

I decided to start assigning battle posts. We couldn't all head out there; I wanted a setup that could work quickly on feet. We didn't know what we'd be dealing with, so I had to be sure we could extract ourselves fast if need be.

That was my watchword as I gave the order to prepare for war. The construction effort across town was continuing to go without a hitch, but we still had no real defenses in place. Not even an outer wall, since it'd get in the way of the building boom. No way we could weather out a siege or anything. It was much more logical to picture ourselves bringing the battle to them.

Along those lines, I told the people not joining me to prepare to travel to the treants. They might have to set off before we made it back to town. Before any of that, though, I had to assemble all the monsters in town and tell them what we had decided on. I tried to act as kingly as possible.

YN: "The final battle will be waged in the marshlands. If we win there, we're good. If we don't, I'll let you know via [Thought Communication], so I want you to abandon this place and flee to the treants settlement. Rimuru will also ask the humans for help, if it comes to that, and you'll likely fight alongside them against the orcish army. I'll be honest with you; this isn't some gang of little kids. Me and Rimuru are planning to win this, but if we don't, don't use that as an excuse to lose your heads. You gotta stay calm and follow the plan!"

I was once again up on some kind of pedestal, like an offering to the gods and why in the hell is Rimuru standing down.

Rimuru: 'Yn do your best.'

He doesn't want to get embarrassed here and stood down. I hope he could at least stand beside me. Whatever. As I said my speech to the monsters in front of me. They all listened intently, picking up on the confidence I was radiating, and I guess it worked. Maybe that display was worth it after all.

YN: "Now, the people joining me in the primary force..."

The monsters slowly grew more excited, not knowing what to expect. I guess they all wanted part of the action---I didn't remember them being so warlike, but I should say it is as expected. Whatever I continued.

YN: "For this battle, we will deploy with a team of one hundred goblin riders with Benimaru as their commander. Hakuro will be his aide-de-camp, and Shion and Sarena will be our main point man on the field. Souei will be joining us, although he's elsewhere at the moment, and I suppose Ranga will be Rimuru's transport. While I and Sarena could fly. And I will observe the war and issue orders. That is all. Any questions?"