Evocation

"Morning? I must've dozed off here," Caerus mumbled, blinking his eyes open.

He found himself nestled amidst the comforting roots of the old oak, the sun's golden rays casting a radiant glow. Caerus shielded his eyes with his sleeves, feeling the gentle warmth on his skin. He glanced towards the city, a strange sensation tingling at the edge of his awareness. It didn't quite look like the city from yesterday, something was different, subtly changed. The city walls stood tall, made of aged wood, and the clock tower was still a work in progress. Many of the houses retained their thatched roofs, unlike the tiled ones of the present. It was a puzzle that curiosity beckoned him to solve.

Rustling caught his attention, accompanied by soft sobs. Caerus pivoted towards the source, and there, beneath the very oak he had rested against, sat a young boy. The boy's clothes were tattered, revealing a scraped shoulder, and his knuckles tinged with blood. Caerus's jaw dropped in astonishment. It was himself, as he had been ten years ago, a mere eight-year-old. He watched in silence as his younger self trembled with each sob, emotions washing over him.

"Why's everyone so mean?" The younger Caerus cried out, anguish echoing in his voice. "I'm not some monster... I'm Caerus. Just like everyone else..." He buried his face in his hands, streaked with dirt and tears.

A voice, gentle as a breeze, broke through the turmoil. "Are you okay?"

The young Caerus jolted in surprise, turning towards the source. A little girl with emerald eyes peeked out from behind the tree. Caerus held his breath, listening to their exchange. She was a vision of innocence, her golden hair framing her face, and her smile missing a tooth. He was captivated, finding her almost angelic. Yet, a flicker of fear held him back, dread that she might flee if she saw him.

"Hey, I'm talking to you! Don't worry, I won't hurt you," she reassured him.

Caerus glanced her way, taking in her warm smile. Despite his trepidation, he found himself intrigued by her presence.

"Please, just leave me be... People will hate you if you're near me. I'm a monster," he confessed, his voice barely more than a whisper.

"No, you're not!" Her voice rang with conviction.

Caerus remained doubtful – his gaze fixed on the ground.

"Prove it, then!"

He peeked through his fingers, catching a glimpse of her pout. A flush crept up his ears, and he held his silence, hoping she might give up. But determination fueled her spirit.

"I'll show you that you're just like anyone else," she declared with a grin. Swift as a breeze, she moved to his side, deftly removing his boot before losing her balance and landing on the ground. Caerus curled into a ball, pulling his leg away instinctively, feeling the cool grass beneath his foot. The girl looked at him, her concern evident.

"Don't worry! I said I won't hurt you, remember?" she reminded him. "Look, our feet are the same!"

Her words held a quiet reassurance, a tender promise that maybe, just maybe, things weren't as dire as he'd believed. "I know that," Caerus said softly.

As Caerus's words reached her ears, the girl's grin stretched even wider. Her golden hair danced in lively waves as she hopped up with enthusiasm, her dress swaying along with her. Bounding on her toes, she playfully smoothed the front of her attire.

"See! That means you're not a monster," she exclaimed, her emerald eyes alight with unadorned joy. Her innocence radiated like a warm glow, reaching out to Caerus's wary heart.

Unfazed by his confession, Caerus's voice quivered as he summoned his courage. "It's not my feet you should fear... It's my eyes."

A hush fell between them, and a pang of sadness gripped Caerus. He knew he'd frightened her, and a familiar ache settled in. She was just like everyone in the city, they'd either hate him or ignore his very presence.