A Veiled Farewell

Days had passed, and their makeshift caravan hobbled its way through the beaten path.

A smart decision that they had made at the behest of Lucian was to have a smaller caravan of three men divert the attention of the army southward, whilst the main caravan was to head east. For the first week of their travels, Caerus and some of the men covered their tracks, shoveled horse dung away from the path, and made sure no evidence of their camp was to remain at daybreak.

One night, Lucian called for Caerus, the gentleman barely clinging to life as the blade that pierced him had managed to nick his arteries. The Laresian's crimson eyes blinked crimson as he methodically pulsed lifeblood through his body, an arduous but necessary task to keep himself alive. Across his chest, his pulsating veins encircled the wound dealt by Julio, simultaneously stifling the bleeding, and pumping his heart.

Caerus felt distraught at his mentor's current state. The infirmary tent was dimly lit, and the scent of herbs mingled heavily in the air. Caerus pushed aside the heavy canvas flap and stepped inside. His heart was heavy with dread. Lucian lay on a makeshift bed, his breathing shallow, wounds bandaged tightly.

"Lucian," Caerus said softly, his voice laced with anguish. "I can't bear to see you like this. We should find a way to get you proper medical attention."

Lucian mustered a weak smile, his voice strained. "Caerus, my time is running short. We both know that. In a month, this caravan will reach the city of Oakcrest, I know of a prominent physician there who caters to our kind. Now, whether I live, or die is up to the Gods. But there is something important I need to discuss with you."

Caerus's eyes welled up with tears, his voice choked. "No, Lucian, please don't speak like that. You'll pull through this. I know you will."

Lucian reached out, and Caerus took his hand in his. "The lifeblood in me is all that's keeping me alive. I've managed to somehow stop myself from bleeding out but without a proper physician... I never would have thought that the scruffy incognizant pupil of mine would have faith in me that is this unwavering... but there are some battles even the strongest warriors cannot win."

Caerus's shoulders slumped, the weight of impending loss pressing upon him. "What is it you wanted to tell me, Lucian?" Lucian took a labored breath, his gaze steady despite his frailty.

"Take this," Lucian revealed a crimson tome from beneath his blanket. "I need you to continue our journey through the mountain range of Dioses Mano, Caerus. Enter the city of Verdania and look for the Civic Athenaeum and its curator Erasmus Kaledin. Read this book when you are ready. All that you need to learn is hidden within its pages. I may not be able to answer your questions, but I believe Erasmus would."

Caerus's voice trembled as he protested, desperation evident in his tone. "But I can't leave you here, Lucian. We've faced the siege together and you've helped me accept what I am. I won't abandon you now."

Lucian's voice held a touch of urgency. "Caerus, this is bigger than us. It's about the greater good, the potential to shape the fate of nations. I may not survive, but you must carry on. Promise me you'll go."

Caerus clenched his fists, his voice filled with turmoil. "I can't promise that Lucian. I can't just leave you here alone. What if something happens? What if I lose you?"

A new voice broke the silence, introducing itself. "Please excuse my intrusion but I've been listening to your conversation." Caerus turned to see a rugged figure standing by the entrance of the tent, scars etched across his weathered face. His eyes held a glimmer of shared grief.

"Caspian," Lucian said weakly, his voice filled with a mixture of gratitude and relief. "Thank you for being here."

"I was the sole surviving member of General Roderick's men. Lucian saved my life, just as he saved yours." Caspian stepped closer, his tone earnest. "Caerus, I understand your hesitation, but we can honor Lucian's sacrifice by fulfilling his wishes. I'll accompany you, and together, we'll navigate the treacherous mountains of Dioses Mano."