Chapter 2: Into The Fray

You could feel the eyes of all the shipgirls on you as you passed by on your way to what would be your new office and sleeping quarters. It did make you feel a little more tense and nervous, but you did your level best to push that all to one side.

After all, you were hellbent on making a good first impression since you knew that would be important.

"I hope you do not mind all the staring commander. It is rather rude after all." Wales said from in front of you, not turning to face you though.

"Oh it's...quite alright. I get that everyone is curious. I'll get used to it. No need to fear." You said, making Wales hum.

As you were walking, you snuck a glance at Enterprise. Out of the group of girls you had met so far, she was the one you had heard the most about. The name 'Grey Ghost' was one that you heard almost every since day while you were building yourself up to this position.

So being alongside her now meant a lot to you as you felt you had already achieved something great just by being here.

Though as you glanced at her, you noticed that she seemed a little off. You went as far to think that she was exhausted, injured or both. Something just didn't seem right.

"Uhm...excuse me? Lady Enterprise?" You asked, making Enterprise look over at you. A slightly stunned look on her face as she began to speak.

"L-Lady? Please...just call me Enterprise, commander." She said.

"Alright then. Just as long as you remember to just call me Y/n. Yeah?" You asked with a smile on your face, something else that stunned Enterprise slightly.

"Y-yes of course...comm-Y/n..." She said, almost immediately forgetting what you had just said to her.

"Anyway...was there something you wanted to say? Or ask? Whatever it is I'm sure I can assist." She said, managing to quickly compose herself.

"I just wanted to ask if you're feeling okay. You seem quite tired. And are you sure you're not injured at all? We can't have you in a bad state after all." You said as both Wales and Illustrious looked back at you through the corner of their eyes.

"He is very perceptive. And seemingly caring too. That is good." Wales thought.

"Hopefully our new commander will be one to help get through to Enterprise. He does seem like a very kind and gentle fellow." Illustrious thought as she grinned slightly.

"I-I assure you that I am perfectly fine and ready to fight again commander!" Enterprise assured as she got all formal again.

"Our enemy could strike at any moment! I shan't let myself get distracted." She continued as you all walked on in silence for a few moments.

"I might be no expert...but there are always lulls in fighting. Sure, our enemy might not have gone far but they still need to recover from the battle too. I've read your file Enterprise and you're a phenomenal warrior. But please just remember that you cannot push yourself. Because if you do...then you will end up breaking." You said as you fixed your gaze back in front of you again, allowing Enterprise to think about what you said.

"This is what I was made to do though...I'm no human..." She thought as she looked down at herself before looking back at you.

"Although...maybe you do have a point. Nevertheless, I won't be satisfied until we have driven our enemies back further." She thought as the group of you walked inside of a large building.

There were even more shipgirls inside wandering about the halls. Their attention swiftly redirected from whatever they were doing to you. A wave of excitement had spread over the entire base and everyone was talking about your arrival.