Chapter 17: The Calm Before The Storm

"Where are you two wanting to go? Laffey seems pretty comfortable sleeping on my back, but were you two looking to do something after you finished cleaning?" You asked Javelin as the two of you walked across the island.

"Well, we were going to take a bath when we finished. Could you take us there please?" Javelin asked.

You merely smiled and nodded, following the path across the island towards the baths. They were relatively new and had been planned out by the girls of Royal Navy. There was a lot of excitement around it and that really showed as there was a large number of girls heading towards the baths to have a much needed relax.

Once inside, you could already feel the warmth radiating from the baths even from where you were stood in the entrance way.

"Here we are! Seems like the place is really popular too!" You said as you felt Laffey stir on your back followed by a tired yawn.

"Warm...and toasty..." The sleepy destroyer said before yawning again and opening her eyes to look around.

"Oh...Commander..." She said, seemingly surprised by your presence.

"Hey Laffey! Did you have a nice nap? It definitely seems it." You said to her.

"Hmmm...yes. Commander is comfy." She sleepily said and laid her head back down again.

"Laffey! Don't you want a bath? You can't fall asleep again now! The commander might need go be somewhere!" Javelin said, making you chuckle.

"There's no rush. Don't stress." You said as Laffey stirred again.

Knowing that she probably had made her mind up, you crouched down so she could climb off. It took a few moments but she eventually put her feet down on the ground and let go of you.

Turning to face her, she blinked and stared back at you, glancing between your face and your hand. It took you a few confusing moments of pondering, but eventually you thought you figured out what she was pining for.

You lifted your hand and gently pat her head, and seeing the way she seemed to almost melt on the spot made it obvious now that this is what she wanted.

"...hmmm...Laffey didn't want Commander to pat her head...not at all..." She said, her body language betraying her words however.

"Suuuureeee...I believe that." You said with a soft smile, opting to take your hand away after a few moments.

In the corner of your eye, you noticed Javelin looking on with a look of jealously written all over her face. Smirking slightly, you focused on the Royal Navy destroyer next, wasting no time in patting her head too.

This took her completely by surprise as a blush erupted across her face.

"C-Commander! I-I..." She began but trailed off due to embarrassment.

"Heh...you can't hide your jealously from me. You're not exactly very good at it." You said with a chuckle as you took your hand away, much to her disappointment.

"Don't look so disappointed Javelin! There will be plenty more opportunities to get headpats! For now though, I don't wanna keep you. I know you're both eager to take a bath." You said, gesturing for them to keep following you.

You took them down the hall from the doorway right up to the entrance to the changing rooms. There you found Unicorn who seemed to be hanging around, looking a little hesitant.

"Oh, hey Unicorn! Is...something bothering you?" You asked the girl who jumped slightly when she heard your voice before turning to face you.

"C-Commander..." She said shyly, covering half her face with the bag she was clutching in her arms.