Chapter 11: Preparation

You and Enterprise spent the rest of the day practicing, right up until the sun started to slowly dip below the horizon. The orange light cast beautifully over the deep blue sea, making for a breathtaking view.

"Oh wow...I didn't realise it was getting so late. Sun's starting to go down." You commented as you looked out to sea.

"But hey, I think the practice will pay off! I managed to hit the target a few times with your help Enterprise!" You said, pointing out the target dummy which did have a few marks on it now.

"Hmm...I'm glad to be of help to you Commander." Enterprise said, still holding onto your arms.

Only when you lowered your arms did she realise she was still holding them. Embarrassed, she took them away and put them by her side again.

"You know I said that you can call me Y/n when we are in a casual setting right? It was practically one of the first things I said to you." You said.

"And you called me Y/n before so...there's no reason to not do so now." You continued, turning to face the embarrassed girl.

"I-I...didn't mean to...it just sort of happened, you know?" She replied, looking off into the distance.

"Enterprise...it's fine. You can call me Y/n anytime you like. I'd feel much happier if you did to be honest." You said with a smile.

Enterprise looked at you for a few moments to process what you said. Your kindness towards her and all the other girls had surprised her so far. Your entire demeanour was a whole lot different to what she was expecting and it had been since the moment you stepped off the ship and introduced yourself.

"I see..." She said finally after thinking for a little while.

"Awesome!" You said in response, before silence descended upon both of you.

It only lasted a few moments though before you broke it to ask her something.

"Enterprise...since I'm not the first person to take charge here at Azur Lane, what were my predecessors like?" You asked.

She looked back at you before starting to answer your question.

"Well, there have been many who have come here to command us. A lot of them were veterans of other wars, so they had plenty of experience. However, they were much colder to us and didn't exactly bother talking to us in the way that you have." She said, taking a moment to think about what she said next.

"None of them were bad people at all. They all had and still have my respect for all their services. But you are...unique. You've come here with zero experience and are right out of a naval academy. That however does not change how I feel about you. I will still follow your every command and will do my best to aid you until your time at Azur Lane is done." She said, a small smile spreading across her face.

"Not only that...you are also a lot warmer and quite a lot of the girls around here are already speaking very highly of you." She said.

"Awww well, I'm flattered! Thank you for telling me all that Enterprise! I appreciate it." You said.

"It's my pleasure, Y/n." She replied as the smile on your face got wider.

You were about to say something back to her, but were interrupted by your stomach rumbling loudly which made you chuckle.

"Ahah...suppose it is getting to that time where I should get some food. Would you like to join me Enterprise?" You asked.

"If you want me to." She said as you laughed and stood up straight.

"Of course! You think I wouldn't want you to join me?! Don't be ridiculous! Come on!" You said, grabbing onto The Grey Ghost's hand and dragging her to her feet and back to the canteen.