Venator: Part 3

"Good morning! This is SBS morning news. The divide between mutant rights has always been a hot topic, and with the arrest of Yujeonja Tech Solutions CEO Ahn Joon-young several months ago, many laws and bills have been created to protect said mutants. In recent weeks though, the opposition has been reignited and has begun calling for repeals. Today, we are joined by two voices from both sides, Lee Seunggi of PD Campus and Geun Kangdae of the Anti-Mutant Association. Let's start off this discussion with why you believe in your current stances." The newscaster says, introducing the two guests who were sitting across from each other.

"As I've mentioned many times in the past, mutants are still people just like everyone else. Even non-mutant humans have differences between each other, so why are their unique abilities any different? It is our job as a society to make sure they feel accepted as we try to do for all humans. The bills pushing to protect and educate mutants will be able to help so many of them who feel like they've been outcasted. Less antagonism means less incidents." Seunggi says succinctly. Hunter Geun scoffs though before giving his take.

"Are you hearing what this guy is saying? Protecting mutants? Shouldn't it be the public that's protected from them? We already have laws against firearms yet we have no laws for a person who can freeze or burn up anyone at a given notice. Our taxes should not be going into programs that will only make these freaks stronger. I know your facility gives training to mutants to control their powers. What happens when one of them goes rogue?"

"Behavioral studies will tell you that those raised in a stable and supportive environment end up being more upright citizens than those who aren't. As for rogues, we have trusted teams that are on standby to bring them in. It's safer for these operatives to handle those situations precisely because they have the ability to combat them that normal law enforcement doesn't."

"But what if we could protect ourselves? What if the public had access to tools that could protect us from mutant attacks?" At those words, Seunggi gives Geun a curious look which causes the burly man to grin.

"I've been in contact with some folks about an item that can nullify a mutant's powers on the spot. If we could mass produce it and sell them in small doses like pepper spray, I think a lot of people would feel safer." Geun takes out a clear glass vial from his pocket and shows it to the camera. Seunggi is in shock, recognizing the solution.

"Those were Park Eunseo's, but she's supposed to be in prison." He thinks before being snapped out of his thoughts by the newscaster.

"Seunggi-ssi? Do you have a response to that?"

"Ah, of course. While that may sound like a good idea, you have no idea how those items can be abused when put in the wrong hands. I stand by our operatives and their ability to handle situations safely." He says quickly, but Geun appeared to have an ace up his sleeve.

"Really, you mean these operatives?" Geun says before signaling to play a video. It showed Yena and Yuri at the gas station from months ago where the older girl had zapped the ground right in front of civilians. Next, it showed blurry footage of what appeared to be Chaewon and Minjoo fighting copies of the short-haired girl in a park. Finally, the video played clips taken from Yujin's incident at the ice cream parlor the day before.

"If I recall, these are supposed to be some of your best mutants, and yet it seems they can't even control their own emotions and powers. Face it. Your program is a failure and a waste of money." Seunggi was stunned at this, but before he could respond, the TV blows up.

"Yah! That's unfair. They were the ones throwing cans at us back then!" Yena yells angrily, her fingers still smoking from the bolt of electricity she'd fired at the flatscreen. Several of the IZ*ONE members had gathered at the cafeteria to eat breakfast while watching the broadcast, but they'd quickly lost their appetite.