Memories Lost: Part 4

5 years ago...

"Nice work, Hyewon. Now we just have to take care of the witness." Sohye says, tightening the grip of her bat while staring at Eunbi's unconscious body.

"Yah, this is already beyond our jurisdiction. She didn't appear to have any abilities either. Just wipe her memory from today and let her go." Hyewon tries to argue.

"Ugh, fine, but if she ends up talking, it's your fault." Her partner replies, walking up to Eunbi, forcing her eyes open and staring directly at them.

"I'll bring her back to her house while you take care of the mutant here. I'll meet you at base." Sohye then says.

"Wait, how about I bring her back instead. Her brother is already knocked out cold and shouldn't be a problem for you to handle." Hyewon replies, suddenly not trusting what Sohye would do to the girl when she wasn't there.

"Fine. Just be quick." Hyewon nods, unfreezing Eunsang and using ice to cuff his hands together.

~~~~

After about half an hour of travel, Hyewon arrives at the older girl's address. She then places her down in a seat next to the front door and whispers something in her ear.

"You were just on your way back home from school, and nothing out of the ordinary happened." She obviously felt guilty doing this, but Hyewon had no other choice. It was true that this girl's knowledge could blow their whole organization's cover. She may have only been 15 at the time, but she knew enough already about the spy business that one's cover is everything.

Hyewon takes another look at Eunbi who was still unconscious. She knew she had to leave, but there was something within her that didn't want to yet. The young girl ended up waiting for what felt like an hour until Eunbi began to stir and wake up. Only then did Hyewon finally decide to return to base. What greeted her back at 8D though was a very upset Sohye.

"What took you so long?" She asks while tapping her foot on the ground.

"I...was just making sure the girl really didn't remember anything." Hyewon replies quietly. Though it wasn't the true reason, it was technically true, and it seemed to be convincing enough for Sohye.

"Well, you took so long that you missed all the fun. That mutant we were after? I had to put him down." She says casually as if she were talking about watering a plant or buying lunch.

"What? Why? He was already restrained and unconscious." Hyewon was in disbelief. There was a glint in her partner's eyes that she couldn't quite place, as if she'd finally lost it.

"Don't look at me like that, Kang. If you just let me get rid of that girl, you would've been there when the guy woke up instead. I didn't have a choice." Every one of Sohye's words pierced Hyewon's heart. Maybe she should've gone with Sohye's first suggestion. She would've easily been able to restrain Eunsang if he ever woke up during transport. Hyewon couldn't help but think now what the girl from earlier will think once she gets the news. These thoughts were interrupted when a middle-aged man called the duo's attention. It was the director.

"Sohye, Hyewon. To my office, now." He says before turning and walking away, not waiting for the two to follow.

~~~~

"What happened on the mission? Why did our target end up on the news?" He asks in a frustrated tone, turning on the monitor next to him which was running a segment on Kwon Eunsang's death. He'd been found in a butcher's meat locker with blood dripping from his head.

"This is Hyewon's fault, sunbae! She wanted to protect the guy's sister by transferring him properly. I had no choice but to take him out when he started to wake up." Sohye replies first, pinning the blame on her partner. It's not like Hyewon could deny it though. She put her personal feelings over the mission. Sohye's actions were a result of her weakness, and it wasn't the first time. The director is quiet for a couple seconds, and Hyewon was silently preparing for whatever punishment he'd give.