Last Thoughts, Last Words

Gerard's POV

We just stand there. Waiting. Is it me, or is everything we do lead to waiting? I can't...no, I won't wait anymore. I'm eighteen years old, I don't need to wait. But I can't not leave. I blink back tears as I wrap my arms around myself. Mikey is next to me, standing tall, like always. Out. Free. My head won't think. I won't scream, but I want to, trust me.

Michael fists his hands and rolls his head, I can hear his neck cracking. Asthma. He couldn't breathe earlier. I blame the network, but what you gunna do?

My knees go weak and I feel my head rushed and crashing to the floor even though I'm hoisted up by my brother. The door slides open and the bell rings. Who needs parents? I.....I guess I do.

"It's time."

I nod, my head turning to look up at my brother. Mikey doesn't even look at me. He's dissapointed, I know. I would be too.

"Let's just go home," mum sighed, giving both of us a weak smile before turning and walking out the doors.

I nod like a wimp, and let all my tensions go. I bite my lip as I follow my parents out of the door. I stop in my tracks as I notice Mikey still in the doorway. My head turns around and he stares at me in the eyes, hazel meets chocolate. He doesn't even look like my brother any more. He's an alien. I'll never forget how messed up we all are. I look on to the concrete, trying to think of some hope that we can hold onto, but as I look up towards my brother, the New Year clock strikes as the countdown goes down and fireworks are released into the sky.

The first year of our tragedy over, as 2012 rolls around. And today, is a fresh new start. Are we strong enough to make it? My lip goes red and I have to smile sadly. Mikey just nods at me, silencing our twisted agreement.

Fancy that, recovering and dying at the same time whilst getting out of hospital on the day of New Year, and as midnight strikes a few moments ago, the new year will emabrk us on our final journey. But with our heads held high, can we welcome this new year with our life? I....I hope so.

Donna and Donald stop at the top of the highway which is only lightened by the streetlamps in the cool crisp night air.

"Happy New Year," I choke a sob as I stare at my brother.

"Is it?" he speaks and it's like he's foreign.

Mikey stands tall as he passes me, pushing me by the shoulder and making me take a few steps backwards unbalanced.

No, not really.