Memories and Discoveries

Owen saw the spark in her eyes as the baby poked it's way through the shell. He loved that spark but he couldn't believe he was seeing it at that moment. He knew she had witnessed the massacre of the herd and this was just a relief to her. He wasn't sure what to think, he would think after being chased, trampled, and witnessing such a horrific event she would be the first one wanting off the island but there she was cradling the baby dinosaur that called out to her upon seeing her for the first time.

He heard the panic calls of Dr. Grant and Dr. Sattler before heading out of the hatchery and calling over to them. "She's in here."

"Oh thank goodness." Ellie said pressing her hand to her chest. They entered and saw Keira sitting on the floor with the dinosaur in hand.

"Keira what the hell are you doing? Put that thing down!" Alan ordered.

"Dad, it's a baby Apatosaurus, relax."

"Relax? You're telling me to relax after all of this..Keira did you forget what happened to you today?"

"Yeah Dad," she said hotly,"why don't you tell me what happened today!?"

Ellie stepped between them. "Enough both of you." she said.

Keira looked away towards the moving dinosaur in her hands.

Alan clenched his jaw as Ellie gave him a stern glare. He sighed, he knew he shouldn't be arguing with his daughter at the time but to see her holding one, with her body bruised puzzled him. How could she look at the dinosaurs with such a loving look after all the destruction caused?

He sat down across from her. Ellie and Owen stood on either side of them watching in case they broke into another argument.

"How are you feeling?" he asked her.

"Okay," she said looking back up at him. "Hungry, though."

Alan laughed. Her typical answer.

"I bet you are." Ellie said. "You're nothing but skin and bones. You told me you were eating."

"I am Mom." Keira said. "Ask Owen."

The parents looked to the young man who's eyes widened as the attention was turned on him suddenly.

"Well yeah, she eats. I cook for her."

"You can cook?" Ellie asked delighted.

Alan rolled his eyes, he could already see where this was going.

His eyes returned back to his daughter who was smiling at him as Ellie bombarded Owen with questions. He took his hat off his head and placed it on hers thinking of the day that he let her get on that plane to come to this island.

"Mom, please don't cry." she said adjusting the bag over her shoulder as they stood with her at the terminal. "I'll be okay."

She was tackled into a death grip hug by Ellie. Alan stood with his arms crossed refusing to acknowledge the fact that it was actually happening. Keira walked over to him after finally being released by her mother.

"Dad?" she outstretched her arm for at least a handshake.

He looked at her hand before grabbing it and pulling her into a hug.

"Anytime you feel uncomfortable, you come home. You come right home."

"I will Dad." she said. "I love you."

"I love you too." he said. "I love you very much."

She pulled away as they made the last call for the flight to Costa Rica where she would take a smaller flight to the island. She stood before him. He took his hat off and placed it on her head.

"But Dad this is your hat..the hat."

"And it's always made it's way back, it's good luck charm. Take it."

She grinned before entering one last hug with them before running down the loading bridge to the plane with a final wave.

The once little girl that would carry around a paintbrush pretending to dig out fossils was a grown woman before him and he couldn't believe it. How closely she resembled her mother, he could see Ellie before him when they first saw the dinosaurs hatch over two decades ago.

His eyes gleamed until they caught sight of something on her arm when her shirt was ripped. He leaned forward and pulled up the sleeve.

"You have a tattoo?!"

"Uh...surprise!?" she said.

"Oh now it makes sense as to why you wore longer sleeves at the digging sites before you left. Blocking out the sun my ass!"

"Well technically I was blocking out the sun from my tattoo." she replied innocently. "Sun can cause irritation."

"Also it causes it to fade quicker." Ellie added. Alan rounded on her.

'You knew about this too?"

Ellie's face reddened.

Owen couldn't help but watch in amusement at the Grant family.

"Is there anything else I need to know while we're at it?" he asked rubbing his face.

"We're engaged." Owen added. Alan became red with anger as he arose.

"Now just a second there Raptor boy..."

"It's Raptor Man actually and it was a joke." he said.

Alan's face dropped when he heard Ellie and Keira giggling behind him.

"You two are going to be the death of me."

There was a knock on the window of the hatchery and they looked up to see Lowery waving. Owen waved him in.

"Dino's tired of hanging out with me." he said. Keira could hear the jingling of his collar as he rounded the corner.

In his mouth, he had Keira's hat walking over to her and dropped it before her.

"It really does always make it's way back." Keira said.

"I'll take that back then." Alan said grabbing his hat off her head and placing his old one back on her.

"You two and those damn hats." Ellie said shaking her head.

Dino laid down beside his owner sniffing at the baby Apatosaurus who let out a call causing Dino to jump back and growl.

"It's alright Dino." Keira laughed.

Dino walked over to Owen and sat at his side.

"You big baby." he said petting his head.

Lowery rounded the corner.

"Please tell me that's not a dinosaur in her hands." he said. Keira held it up.

"Isn't it cute!?" she said.

"I'm going back to my computer until we leave." he said heading out.

Keira looked at everyone. "Leave?"