Balance

The Bungalow was quiet that morning when Owen woke up. He looked over to the other side of the bed to find it empty. He sighed, apparently it was another early morning for Keira or she was avoiding him. He couldn't blame her if it were the latter, he had lost his composure in the paddock and left her there to clean up.

He sat up in bed planting his feet on the cold hardwood floor and ran a hand over his hair before pushing himself up. He headed for a shower and to get ready for the day. But before he would do any of that, he needed to find Keira and apologize for his behaviour.

He stepped out of the steamy bathroom to hear Keira's laptop blare with a skype call notification. He pulled his shirt over his head and walked over to see her parent's photo. He clicked accept and saw the two. He gave a wave.

"Morning!" Ellie greeted him.

"Good morning." he said sitting down.

"Where's Keira?" Alan asked.

"Working more than likely." he said.

"And you're not because..."

"Alan!"

"What I was asking a question."

Owen gave a small smile. "It's alright. I was about to head out." he said.

"Ah," the phone rang and Alan arose to answer it. Ellie sat down.

"You alright, dear? You look like you haven't slept in a couple of days."

"Really?" he rubbed his eyes.

"Yeah. Everything okay between you and Keira."

"Yeah, it's fine..I mean, well...she's great I just.." he dropped his head. "We haven't spoken much for the last couple of days."

"Why's that?"

He began to explain what happened in the raptor paddock.

"Sounds like she's just giving you space. I doubt she's ignoring you. The silent treatment isn't really her thing."

"I know it isn't. I just feel bad for reacting that way."

Ellie smiled. "While it was brutish, it's not your fault Owen. As much as we love dinosaurs, it's something we have to remember that they are animals and we don't understand everything about animals no matter how many years we spend studying them."

"Thank you." he said. "I guess, it was just easier the first time around, I was hoping it was going to go just as smoothly."

"Well, take a step back, breathe and get back to it. If it you did it once before, I'm sure you can do it again."

He nodded his head with determination.

"Tell Keira I said hi and I love her. And to freakin' call when I'm home!"

He chuckled. "Will do." The call ended. He pushed himself away from the table for a minute. He took a deep breath and arose when there was a knock on the door.

He walked over and opened it.

"Barry?!"

Keira was heading to a herbivore lesson when she ran into Lowery who was mumbling to himself.

"Whoa where's the t-rex chasing you?" she asked with a laugh after hitting the floor.

"I'm sorry!" he said pulling her back up to her feet.

"Where are you headed in such a rush?" she asked him.