34: Apologies

A/N: This chapter contains sexual content.

Aiden's lips descended on my neck as my mouth dropped open in shock. In the heat of the moment, I planted my hand on his face and pushed him off of me.

"Married? What do you mean you're getting married?"

There was a pause. "What do you mean what do I mean? I'm. getting. married. I made it pretty clear," she said sternly.

My mother is getting married? She literally finalized her divorce only a few months prior. And who the hell is she getting married to? That John guy? Or was it Adam? Or Jacob?

Maybe I should stop guessing. Those aren't even near the same thing, and I'm probably super far off.

"Mom, how long have you known this...guy?" I decided to play it safe and not guess a name.

"His name is Robert, and we've been dating for over six months. You know that."

"But don't you think six months is still a little too soon to be considering marriage? I mean, that's hardly enough time to figure out if you want to spend the rest of your lives together, and you just got out of an eighteen year long marriage with-"

"Tracey, please," she tried saying sternly, but I heard the worry in her voice. That wasn't a place that she wanted to be brought back to, and I shouldn't have mentioned it.

I sighed. "Fine. When is this wedding happening?"

I could practically hear the smile in her voice when she said, "Next Saturday."

-

Six days later, my mom was at her bachelorette party, and I was still in shock. How in the hell did Robert and my mother plan an entire wedding in under a week? And why the hell are they in such a rush?

"Come on care bear, time for bed. Tomorrow's a big day, and we want you all rested for it," Aiden said in his voice reserved for children. He picked her up and brought Brittany over to me.

"Say goodnight to your big sister!" he said so enthusiastically, I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing.

Brittany grabbed my cheeks, leaned in, and kissed me on my nose. I kissed her on her forehead, and she giggled in response.

"Goodnight sweetheart," I cooed.

As I watched Aiden carry her to her room, I got a warm feeling inside of my chest. He looked like he was made to be a father. Any woman that has children with him would be extremely lucky. I could tell that no matter what, he would take wonderful care of his kids, and love them unconditionally.

I'm kind of hoping that woman is me.

I was still lost in my thoughts when Aiden came back downstairs. He wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his head on my shoulder.

"What are you thinking about, beautiful?"

Turning to face him, I wrapped my arms around his neck and looked into hazel flecked eyes.

"I was just thinking about how great of a father you'll be one day."

His eyes took on an amused glint. "Oh really? I'm glad you think that." He gave me a quick peck, and led me over to the couch in the living room.

We sat down together, and I snuggled up close to him, resting my head on his shoulder. The TV was on, but I wasn't really sure of what was playing because I was more focused on Aiden and I. More focused on the moment. Aiden was lazily rubbing my shoulders, and I never felt more at ease. I looked up at him, and when our eyes connected, I felt an overwhelming sense of love for him. It felt like I was right where I needed to be.