26: Asking the Tough Questions (part one)

I got to school early the next day, so I picked my seat, propped my feet up on the seat in front of me, and looked up at the ceiling.

When I woke up in Aiden's arms yesterday, I felt a lot better. We spent the rest of the day in his room together, watching movies and snacking on everything we could find. It was comforting. Yet I couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right. What could it possibly be?

I felt a presence in the room, and I tore my eyes away from the ceiling. It was Cameron, easing himself into the seat next to me.

"That was some party, wasn't it?" he started, turning to look at me. "I hope that was one of the best birthdays you've ever had, because I worked hard to make it fun." He had a sheepish smile on his face, and I couldn't help but smile back.

"I think it's safe to say that was the best birthday I've ever had. So thank you," I said, still smiling. 

Cameron let out a puff of air and held his chest in mock relief. "I thought you were going to hurt my feelings for a minute."

"I would never-" I stopped in the middle of my sentence, and he gave me a confused look. Feeling the same urge for information I felt with Aiden yesterday, I said "Hey Cam?"

"Yeah?" he responded, still looking a little bit confused.

"Why'd you start acting all weird and stalker-like back when I told you we should stop talking?"

Cameron visibly tensed up just as people started to fill into the room. He cleared his throat. "Uh, can we talk about this another time?" he said nervously.

I shrugged. "Sure. After school?"

He turned to face the front of the classroom and answered without looking at me. "Sounds good."

I huffed to myself. Aiden tensed up too when I asked him about his parents yesterday. Is it a crime to ask questions nowadays? I pulled out my books and waited for class to start.

-

The rest of the school day passed by, pretty uneventful. That could be just because I was really looking forward to talking to Cameron after school, but whatever.

I walked through the front door of the school, scanning the crowd for my green eyed friend. I spotted him sitting down on one of the benches, playing with his fingers nervously. I walked briskly towards him and tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention. He jumped a little and gave a small smile when he saw it was me.

"Ready?" I asked with an excited smile on my face.

He sighed. "As I'll ever be. Let's go." He got up and started walking towards his car.

I headed off towards my car and got inside. I waited until I saw Cameron's midnight blue Camry pull out of the parking lot, and I trailed behind him. I followed him until he pulled into the parking lot of the infamous family diner. I found a parking space and picked a booth while I waited for him to come inside.

When he finally did come inside, he walked slowly and he looked extremely nervous. You would think I was an ICE agent that just discovered he's in this country illegally. I wish he would just relax for a moment, I'm not going to hurt him!

He sat down just as a redhead that seemed to be in her 30s walked over to our table.

"What can I get for you guys today?" she asked in her rehearsed cheery voice.

"Can I get a coffee with milk and sugar, and a cheeseburger?"

She nodded and wrote my order down. "And for you?" she gestured to Cameron.