10: Tension Finally Boils Over

Tracey.

I walked around CVS and browsed the items, the lighting giving me a headache. We've only been waiting for the pictures to develop for 15 minutes, but it feels like its been hours. My mind keeps flashing back to what I witnessed about an hour ago, and it's pissing me off.

"I wish those damn pictures would hurry up!" I said to nobody in particular.

Bianca is somewhere on the other side of the store. I haven't seen her since I walked in. She's giving me much needed space, and I love her for that. She probably needs some space herself to deal with her impending Tremaine problems.

I walked down the aisles, trying to find something to capture my attention. Nothing. I am in a drug store, I shouldn't expect much.

I found Bianca in the aisle where they keep the beauty products. Of course. She's always looking for something new to cake on her face. I'm not really a fan of makeup. It's takes too much energy and time to put it on every day, and on the occasions I do wear makeup, I feel weird. Not the thing for me.

"Found anything that looks good?" I asked, startling her.

Something flashed in her eyes that I couldn't detect. "Oh, um, no," she said looking down.

I raised my eyebrow. "Is something wrong B?"

She looked up at me, pouting. Oh gosh, what could have possibly happened? She walked toward me, and thrusted her phone into my hands. I read the screen.

Trey: Bianca, we really need to talk.

I can see why she's so distraught. He shouldn't be texting her, he should be talking to her! In person! I glare at a mental picture of Tremaine. It's like he doesn't even hear what I say.

"I-I wonder what he wants to talk about. He's probably going to reject me, finally," Bianca stammers, eyes glistening and red from tears unshed.

"Oh Bianca," I say apologetically, as I hug her tightly.

She welcomes my embrace, and we say nothing for a few minutes. Finally, she speaks.

"This isn't about me. Besides, your problems are worse than mine."

Ouch.  I know she didn't mean to, but her words feel like a punch in the gut. I guess my facial expression gives it away because she shakes her head and says,

"Oh, no, Tracey I didn't mea-"

"Ms. Morgan?" the lady at the photo development center interrupts.

We walk to the counter, and the lady gives us a look like she has better things she could be doing with her time at nine in the evening. I mentally roll my eyes at her, pay for the pictures, and walk out of the store.

Bianca and I hug when we get out of the store, and we go our separate ways. I step into my car, fasten my seat belt, and turn the car on. Once I'm out of the parking lot, I speed all the way home.

I pull into the driveway, and turn the car off. I take deep breaths, preparing myself for what's going to happen next? Am I ready for this? Yes, I have to be. I didn't go through all that crap just to chicken out at the last minute. I take another deep breath, and step out of the car.

Putting my keys in the door, I realize that the lights are on. She's up, wondering where I am. Just what I want.

I open the door, lock it behind me, and walk into the living room. My mom is sitting on the couch, watching tv. She turns to me when she realizes I'm in the room.

"Where have you been?" she said, eyes and voice dripping with anger. I don't let myself get scared by it.

"Getting something you should see," I said, sitting down on the couch opposite her.