4: Welcome Back?

I turned on the TV once I got comfortable in my room. Today has been quite the day! I finally made up with my boyfriend, after over a week of ignoring him. I also met a great guy, Cameron. It's not every day someone new moves to town, and I guess I lucked out that he's such a nice guy. I've been having a tough time lately, and I'm glad that he was there to offer me some kind words. It doesn't hurt that he's easy on the eyes either...

Hearing voices downstairs, I got curious. I made my way downstairs to see what was going on, and I was shocked to see my father sitting in the kitchen, conversing with my mom. I was tempted to pinch myself to test whether I was dreaming or not, but I unfortunately knew what I was seeing was very real.

"Hey dad..." I started awkwardly, "what are you doing here?"

He stopped talking to my mom and turned to me, a smile on his face. "Well, your mother and I worked things out. Happy to see me?"

"Not exactly the word I was looking for." I knew I was being short, but just because my mom forgave him, doesn't mean I had to.

Speaking of my mom, I turned to look at her. "Mom?"

She turned away from the stove and looked at me innocently. "Yes?"

I tried to convey my question without words, but I guess that wasn't the nature of our relationship, because she just stared at me.

I sighed. "Why is he back?"

"Honey, don't talk about your father as if he isn't in the room."

I ignored her. "Why is he back?" I tried again.

"Well honey, I thought about your question, and I decided that our love was more important"

"So you forgave him just like that?"

"Well, yes Tracey."

I walked out of the kitchen. I love my mom, but she's being a little naive. I only gave her that advice to make her think, but I thought the choice would be obvious. I never really expected them to get back together. I actually already started to make my peace with them splitting. It just makes their whole explosive fight seem so insignificant and unnecessary. I guess it's true what people say: love will really make you do stupid things.

I dragged my bag with me to my room so I could start my homework. While doing my homework, I found myself thinking about Cameron. His green eyes, his defined muscles, his perfect smile. And that dimple, I never failed to think about his dimple. What's wrong with me? I know I don't like him, but there's something about him that I just can't shake. I decided to call Bianca and get her opinion on the subject.

My phone started ringing as soon as I picked it up. What do you know, it was Bianca. I answered, and she immediately started talking.

"I heard the good news, you and David got back together! I knew you guys could work it out"

"Um, thanks I guess. I was actually just about to call you. There's something I want to talk to you about."

"Hit me."

"Remember the boy I was with at lunch today, Cameron?"

"Yeah, what about him?" There was an edge to her voice, as if she already knew what I had to say and didn't like it.

"I can't seem to get him out of my mind. It's just that he was so nice to me, and so damn good looking.."

"Tracey! You have a boyfriend, remember? His name is David."

I rolled my eyes. "Of course I remember my boyfriend, I'm not dense. I'm just saying, if there was a competition to see who was the kindest, Cameron is definitely in the lead right now."