31: Apologies and New Beginnings

The next morning I showered and threw on a pair of sweats and a hoodie, not really caring about my appearance. I put my hair in a simple bun and walked out of my room. When I got downstairs I slipped into my Timbs and tied the laces carefully. I wasn't really in any rush to meet up with Aiden. I'm still pretty upset, but I promised myself that I would at least hear him out. So that's what I'll do. He better have an amazing reason for what he's done.

We agreed to meet at the park, at the biggest tree (my favorite). We've had so many good memories there...I hope that doesn't change today. I really love Aiden, but if I feel like his heart isn't in this anymore, I don't know what I'll do. Or even worse, if he purposely messed with my feelings just to... No, I can't think like that. There's no way he would do that to me, right?

My mind was so preoccupied, I barely realized that I got to the park. I quickly found a good space. I guess since it's the day after Christmas and it's cold as hell outside, nobody really wants to be at the park. I sighed and turned off the engine. Putting my gloves on and my hood, I exited the car.

It was ugly outside. There's no other way to put it. It snowed over a few days ago, so the snow had now turned into ice covered in dirt. You know, the snow that nobody finds enjoyable. Now it was lightly snowing again, the new layer slowly sticking to the top of the dirty ice. I couldn't help but be reminded of someone trying to cover up their acne with foundation or whatever it is they use. You can't see it anymore, but you know it's still there.

I got to the big tree and plopped down on the floor. The ice and snow quickly started to seep through my pants, but I couldn't seem to care enough. I just looked up at the sky and watched the snowflakes fall slowly. It was actually pretty calming.

"You'll get sick like that you know," a deep voice rumbled.

"Yeah, that doesn't really seem to matter to me right now," I said, meeting Aiden's eyes. I saw the mixture of emotions in his eyes, and I just couldn't meet his gaze after a few seconds. Instead, I looked at his outfit. He was wearing a navy blue pea coat, a black scarf, black jeans, and black...dress shoes? What a weird boy.

I heard him sigh above me, and the next thing I knew he was sitting in front of me. I looked down at the ground and attempted to play with the snow.

"Trace, can you look at me?"

Silence.

"Tracey, baby. Please."

It was the pleading tone in his voice that finally made me meet my eyes with his again. His request was so full of pain that I couldn't help it. I may be angry with him but I still can't stand to see him hurt.

He let out a sigh of relief that I was finally looking at him. "I don't even know where to start... I'm sorry doesn't even begin to cover it."

I just blinked at him, hoping he got the message that I wanted him to continue.

He cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his head. "Well, I don't want you to think that I was only in this for the sex. It's actually far from it. I would've still been here with you if you wanted to wait ten years, or any insane amount of time. I want you, not the sex. So first off, I'm sorry for making you think that was my intention.

"I'm also sorry for acting like such an asshole after that day. Now that I've had the time to really think about it, I don't have a good reason for acting the way I did. It's just, forgive me for saying this, I've had plenty of sex. But none of those girls even came close to you. You were just so...different. It felt like I really connected with you on an emotional level. And I'm not going to lie, that shit was kind of scary. I've never felt like that before. I've never felt that kind of deep ass connection.