30: Not So Merry Christmas

"Tracey wake up! Wake up, wake up, wake up!" I felt a weight jump up and down on my bed until it finally plopped itself on top of my body. I groaned as my eyes flew open.

"What?" I snapped in an irritated voice. I didn't mean to, but my sleep was disturbed and sometimes I can't help myself.

Brittany, ever the optimist, didn't let it faze her one bit. "Come on Tracey, get up! It's Christmas, there's presents to open!" she yelled excitedly.

I sighed and put on my best fake smile. Throwing the covers off of me and stepping out of my bed, I said "Well come on then, let's go see what Santa got us!"

She squealed in excitement and grabbed my hand, tugging me out of my room. I chuckled lightly and let her pull me to the living room. However, the whole way down I couldn't help but think that even though it's Christmas, I'm as far from merry as it can get. Ever since that day I gave myself up to him, Aiden had been distant. Every conversation I've had with him was strained, full of slow replies and one word answers. It's come to the point where I've given up talking to him.

What I don't understand is why he's acting like this. Have I done something wrong? I don't recall doing anything bad. This is so out of his character and it's killing me. If I knew having sex with him would turn us into strangers I would've never done it. Oh, how I wish I could rewind time...

Before I knew it, Brittany was tearing up wrapping paper like a savage animal and screeching every time she saw what was underneath. I stared at her in awe, wishing I could be so blissfully happy. I took a deep breath and inhaled the scent of pine cones as I looked around the room. The Christmas tree towered almost all the way to the ceiling and twinkled breathtakingly in multicolored lights. It was covered in mismatched ornaments, each one holding a precious memory.

I walked over to the tree and took one ornament gently in my hand. It was a homemade ornament that I made in my kindergarten class so many years ago. I decorated the circular ring in blue sparkles, and the inside contained a picture of a bright eyed, five year old Tracey with pigtails. My mom said it was her favorite ornament and she made sure it was on the tree every year. Usually I was embarrassed to see it, but right now I had a big grin on my face. Even Aiden in all his confusion couldn't fully take away the warm fuzzy feeling that the holiday season gave me.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I turned around to see my mom giving me a warm smile. There was a cup of hot cocoa in her other hand, and she held it out to me. I took it happily and held the cup up to my mouth, taking a sip. I felt warmth course through my body.

"Merry Christmas sweetie."

"Merry Christmas mom," I returned.

"Aren't you going to open your presents?" she questioned.

I shrugged. "In a bit."

My mom squinted her eyes as if she knew there was something more than what met the eye, but the doorbell rang before she could question me.

"I'll get it." She scurried off.

I sighed and sat down, continuing to sip on my drink. I watched as Brittany actively played with her new toys, completely oblivious to the mess she created around her. I heard faint voices coming from the front door, but I didn't pay it much mind. Then, the door closed and my mother was back with a present in her hand.

"Who's that from?" I asked, intrigued.

"It's for you," she said with a knowing smirk, throwing the small box at me.