In the Bleak Midwinter - Part 4 - Tommy x Reader

Scratching.........the sound of shovels catching on dirt and stone. Tommy looked down at his hands, they were covered in dark earth. His clothes were filthy, and there was a sweat on his brow. The sapper standing still, standing rigid, holding his breath for a moment; daring not to breath, as the sounds got closer, got louder. Quickly he turned and made his way down the passage, only to find it blocked, turning again to find another passage, his small light leading the way as he did his best to get away from the explosives that he had set. His heart beating violently, as he found himself at yet another dead-end. He knew that this wasn't right, that the tunnel should lead him out from under the German positions. Yet no matter which way he went, he couldn't get out. He couldn't escape. But then.........a light........a bright light. Had the Germans finally broken through? Had they discovered him...........was he about to die? Tommy able to finally remove his hand away from his face, as the light died down. His eyes widening as he saw a figure, cradling itself on the floor of the tunnel. A female figure clothed in only a simple, white shift. Slowly he made his way over, his hand trembling, as he reached out to touch her. The breath catching in his throat, as she looked up at him............it was her............it was the woman.............

"I..........what am I doing here.................?" She asked, her voice barely above a whisper, as Tommy carefully brushed his thumb over the trickle of blood that was coming from her lips. The crimson smearing across her greyish skin.

"It.............its aright, ya safe. I...........I'm gonna look after ya.........."

"Don't let me die............I don't want to die.................."

"I won't............I won't let you die. But you have to come with me. We have to get out of here..........." Tommy replied, as he moved to place his arms under her. The earth around them beginning to shake. Rubble, dirt and debris falling all around them, as he heard the explosions in the background.

"This is all your fault, Thomas Shelby. You couldn't save all those that you watched die, and you can't save me. You are nothing but a killer; an animal that should be put down, because it is too dangerous to keep alive.............." The woman growled; her eyes now black, sunken. The flesh falling from her face, as she glared at him. Tommy letting out a scream, as the roof of the tunnel collapsed completely.

                                                          >>--------------------------------------<<

"Tommy.........Tommy, wake up.............." A voice came. Tommy gasping for air, as he sat bolt upright. His eyes blown wide, as he looked at the scene around him. As he looked at the figure in the bed, and the man to his side.

"Are.........are you alright..............?" The doctor asked, as he looked at the ex-clay kicker. His ragged breathing and sweaty brow telling the older man that despite what Tommy might say, the opposite would be the truth.

"Fine.........I'm fine.........it was just a dream. What about her...............?" Tommy replied, as he turned his attention to the woman in the bed. The woman whose hand he was still holding.

"Its hard to say; but I've taken as much blood as I can from you, at the moment. You need to get some rest, something to eat. I can get one of the others to watch her for a while..........."

"No, I'll watch her. Just get one of them to bring me something............."

"Fine..........but you need to recover, not just for yourself, but for her too. She might need another transfusion................" The doctor added, as Tommy just nodded in agreement.

"I'll leave for now. I have other patients to see today; but I'll be back later..........." The doctor continued, as he pulled on his jacket. Grabbing for his bag, as Tommy just nodded again.

                                                        >>-------------------------------------<<

"Arthur............" A voice came. It the older Shelby's turn to sit bolt upright and stare wide eyed, as the doctor roused him from his sleep. John and Charlie waking too, stretching out their aching muscles, as they looked at the man in the doorway.

"I need you to take something up for Tommy to eat, and some tea. Make sure that he has them. I couldn't persuade him to get some rest; but maybe you can..........." The doctor said, as Arthur got to his feet; the older Shelby well aware that if Tommy didn't want to do something, there was nothing that he or anyone else could say to make him change his mind; but still, he nodded.

"How is she............?" Arthur asked, as he peeled the starched collar from his neck, that he really should have taken off before he fell asleep in the chair.

"Well, she's still alive; that's all I can really tell you at the moment. I will be back later to check on her and Tommy; but for now..........." The older man added, as he turned and made his way to the door. Arthur closing the ingress behind him, before turning to look up the stairs.

                                                          >>-----------------------------------<<

Tommy pulled a cigarette from the packet, but for once he thought better of lighting it. Placing it on the table next to his bed. His eyes hadn't left hers since he had woken from his nightmare. It had been a long time since he had been scared of anything; but he was scared now. He was scared of losing a woman that he didn't even know. Of losing a woman that he had never even met. Yet as little sense as it made, that was the truth. He needed her to recover; to be as she was before she had got caught in the middle of their war. And when she did recover, he would do all he could to make this up to her.

"Tommy.............." A voice came. Tommy not needing to turn to know that it was his older brother.

"I'm not gonna let her die, Arthur................" Tommy simply responded. Arthur nodding, as he made his way into the room and placed his hand on his brother's shoulder.