Angel of the trenches - Part 9 - Tommy x Reader

(Y/n) had been in and out of the shop all day, running errands for Tommy. Sure, that this was what old Wally Gordon must have felt like, before a Kraut bullet found the silly bastard's brain. She had to admit that she had got lost on more than one occasion; met Uncle Charlie and Curly at the yard and stopped off at the Garisson for a glass of water. Harry behind the bar, still commenting on the shot that she had made the night that Arthur had been attacked. (Y/n) sure that his surprise wasn't as much to do with the distance of the shot, as to it being a woman that had made it. But he was nice enough about it, and he had made her smile when he joked that she was the only one that he had ever served water to, in the pub. Glad that not more of his customers were like her. Though she was finally relieved to back at the shop. The former corporal giving Polly a smile, before she knocked on the office door and made her way inside.

"Charlie sent this............." (Y/n) said, as she placed a box on the desk and took a seat. Tommy opening it and taking a quick look, before closing it again and pushing it into a draw.

"Did ya look at it.................?" Tommy asked, as he took a cigarette from the caddy on the desk.

"Did you tell me to............?"

"No.............."

"Then I didn't. I don't need to know what's in that box, it was nothing to do with me. I believe in the old adage, that curiosity killed the cat; and I don't want to be that cat............" (Y/n) replied. A little hurt that he would ask her such a thing; but she supposed that he had to be careful.

"That, and Charlie told me what it was; so, there was no need to look.........." (Y/n) laughed. Her hand shooting to her side as she sat up a little straighter. Her expression turning from one of amusement, to one of pain.

"(Y/n)................?" Tommy asked. His own expression now one of concern, as he got up from his chair and made his way over to her.

"What.............?"

"Its nothing..........." (Y/n) told him. Trying to shrug it off as best she could, despite the fact that she was still gripping at her side and grimacing.

"Doesn't look like nothin ta me.................."

"Well, it is............I just moved wrong, is all..............."

"(Y/n)............" Tommy interrupted, as he gripped her chin and turned her head so that she was looking at him. The ex-sapper not failing to see the tears that were pricking at the corners of her eyes.

"It............it's the bullet..............."

"I thought ya said that they got it out............."

"They got most of it out. The doctor said that there was a bit they couldn't get to. Occasionally, it moves; feels like it's cutting up my insides. I'll be alright in a minute..........." (Y/n) explained. Her brows furrowing, as Tommy made his way to the door of the office and threw it open.

"Pol. Get the doc here, now...........!"

"Tommy. A doc isn't gonna do anything. I told you; they couldn't get it out. It only happens occasionally. No point in wasting money on me..........."

"Go upstairs, I'll bring tha doctor up when he gets here............." Tommy replied, as if he hadn't heard a thing that she had said. (Y/n) knowing that he had, but he was just choosing to ignore her. His tone making it clear that there was no room for argument. That it was an order, not a request. The former corporal getting to her feet and making her way out of the office. Shrugging as Polly looked at her, before making her way up the stairs.

                                                  >>------------------------------------<<

(Y/n) let out a grunt, as the doctor prodded at her side. She had never been the biggest fan of doctors, sure that sometimes they made things worse; and given that she was currently in more pain than she usually was, she had to think that she had a point. Sure, that the pain would have ended a long time ago, if the so called professional, hadn't been poking at her.

"When were you shot...............?" The doctor enquired, as he gestured that she could sit up and adjust her clothing.

"March, 1918..............." (Y/n) replied, ignoring the confused look from the doctor.

"Do you drink............?"

"No................"

"Do you take anything to.........ease the pain............?" The older man continued. (Y/n)'s eyes flying up and giving him the slightest of glares. Well aware what he was referring to.

"I've seen what addiction can turn someone into, doc. So, no, I don't take anything to "ease the pain". I tried to tell Tommy that it only happens every so often; if I overexert myself, if I bump my side. But he just won't listen, maybe if you told him that it was nothing.............."

"I will tell Mister Shelby what I have noted. For now, I will suggest that you rest........." The doctor replied, choosing to ignore the rather unhappy sound that the woman made, before grabbing his bag and leaving the room.

                                                           >>---------------------------------<<

"Without her medical records, it is hard to know how far the fragment of bullet might have moved. That, or an operation. And there is no guarantee that we would even find the fragment or be able to remove it if we did. The lady informed me that she only experiences the pain if she overexerts herself. So, I would suggest that she is a little more careful." The doctor told Tommy, as they sat in the office.

"So, its nothing too serious.............?"

"I didn't say that Mister Shelby. It is possible that the fragment could move and severe an artery. It could make its way into her lung, or.......even her heart. But the lady is in good health otherwise, and she has lived this long with the injury, so she might continue to be lucky. But there is always the chance..........." The older man replied, as he slowly got to his feet.

"Thank ya doctor. Polly will pay ya on tha way out............" Tommy said. The head of the family firm looking beyond the other man; not noticing that he had left the room. Tommy not sure whether (Y/n) knew about any of this, not sure that he should tell her; but sure, that no matter what, he couldn't lose his angel of the trenches now that she was back in his life.