Flower of Winterfell

CHAPTER FOUR

Flower of Winterfell

Alana's POV

"You can't just sell me like I'm some brood mare." I stood before my father as he sat at the painted table of Winterfell. Books surrounded him and candles dripping their wax down onto the mantle. I wanted to clean the mantles terribly. They all were covered in dust and old candle wax. How disgusting must the place get before it's fucking cleaned properly?

My father shook his head and looked at my mother. She swallowed heavily and rose from where she was sitting. Nearly gliding with her steps as she placed her hands onto my shoulders. Tears forming in her eyes as she forced a smile.

"We aren't just selling you, Alana. This was something that had been planned a long time ago. Although for a while your father and I did not agree with Lord Stark's idea of having you move to the North. We wanted to keep you close to us... We had... Tossed around the names of different lords for you. But... After so long it just..." She paused and looked pleadingly at my father. "Robert, perhaps you could explain it better."

Father nodded and then looked at me. "What your mother is trying to say is that not a single one of those other future lords was worthy of you." He paused for a moment and took a sip of the wine sitting on the table. Wiping his lips on his sleeve and then continuing on. "I've known Ned Stark almost all my life. I never loved my own brothers but Ned... Ned was the brother I chose. I was meant to wed his sister, Lyanna, but she was stolen from me. Lucky for me, I got to meet your lovely mother..."

"So you think that you can try to mend the past and rewrite the future by forcing me to wed Robb Stark because he's a Stark and I'm a Baratheon just like how you and Lyanna once were? Doesn't that seem like I don't know... A bad omen? Couldn't this just go down in flames instead?"

Flames are what shot from my father's eyes when I said the name of Lyanna Stark and not in a positive way. My entire life I've danced in the shadow of a dead woman. My mother has lived in her shadow and knew she'd never account to even half the woman Lyanna was in my father's memory no matter how hard she'd try.

"Alana Baratheon," He grit through his teeth. "You will hold your tongue when you speak of Lyanna Stark."

"No." I argued. "I'm not like Mother. I don't need to hold my tongue. Not anymore. Especially since you've signed off on forcing me to wed that monster! He's horrid, father! He chews with his mouth open and slurps from his cup and talks so loud for no reason! He was pissing on the side of the barn and... and-"

"And nothing!" Father rose to his feet.

"Robert," Mother tried to calm him down.

This was unusual. Typically it was father waving me off when I did something wrong and mother yelling and screaming and punishing me. I'd get things taken away as punishment and father would give them back to me. Like my arrows and dagger, mother took them away but father immediately gave them back. She locked up my horse in the stable and said I wasn't allowed to ride until the next full moon. Father cut the locks and took me for a ride in the King's Woods.

Today wasn't one of those days.

"You will wed the Stark boy. You will let him do what happens in a marriage to you and you will fall pregnant within a year. One year I expect a raven that says I'm a grandfather or else I'll completely disown you. You won't inherit even a toe nail of mine; do I make myself clear? Or must I speak Valyrian to you? Or Dothraki? What fucking language must I speak to get through your thick Lannister skull?" Father's face was red with rage.