Wings Of Death

CHAPTER TWENTY

Wings Of Death

Four Months Later

Robb's POV

The frosty air bit my face as I stood in the courtyard under the grey skies of Winterfell. My cloak pulled tight around my body as the wind whipped a little harder than it had in previous days. My leg tapping into the frozen dirt beneath me while I waited to hear the sound of horses coming toward the gates.

Theon had gone to be sure Jeyne's house was cleared out before we decided to gift it to someone in the village who was in need of a new home. Alana didn't want the house. She hardly wanted to leave the walls of Winterfell anymore and even worse... She hardly wanted to leave the four walls of our chambers.

Four moons ago I was the happiest man alive. I was on top of the world finding out my wife was pregnant with my child after being placed on a time frame given by her father. One year. We had one year for her to be pregnant or already have a baby.

I stared at the gate as my mind was racing again. Time has flown by all too quickly and every single day it's something new that worries me. But now that Jeyne and Jon have left for White Harbor at least I can sleep with a bit more ease at night.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning around quick, my mother stood there bundled up in one of father's cloaks. Her pale face smiled at me but her cheeks and nose were bright red from the cold wind.

"Mother, go inside. You're freezing." I told her gently. "I can wait alone for Theon."

She shook her head. "You don't need to wait outside for him. Theon will find you inside, he knows where to find you."

I looked down. "I don't like being in there."

"Robb... She is still your wife." Mother muttered softly. "Her entire life has changed in an instant from the moment she arrived here... She has all the reason to be upset."

I shook my head. "She hates me again."

"Stop that." Mother took my hands in hers. "She is suffering and trying to force herself to be happy at the same time. As are you... You've buried your head in work and problems that are not yours to deal with just to avoid talking about it. Yet again. I cannot do this, Robb. I cannot sit here while you do this to our family again. When you deal with grief you shut down... She is your wife. She needs you."

Trying to swallow was impossible. It felt like there was a rock stuck in my throat and each time I tried to fucking swallow it down it only seemed to become more stuck. My hands were frozen and yet they dripped with sweat as the words came from my mother's tongue. Words I refused to even utter inside my own head.

"Maester Luwin said it's normal, Robb, it's normal for things like this to happen. She is young and so are you. You lost one baby but the other one is fine. Growing wonderfully and things are going much smoother now."

Alana had been pregnant with twins but we didn't know... Not until blood poured from between her legs and she fainted in my arms early one morning. I thought she was going to die and I... I had never been so frightened in my entire life.

Maester Luwin told her to just let it bleed out... Which she did. After two days the bleeding stopped. The cramping stopped and all of a sudden.. She felt movement within her. We thought perhaps she was imagining it and her body was playing tricks on her to make her believe she hadn't lost the baby.

That was when Maester Luwin examined her and realized she was still pregnant. She still had one baby in her and she must have lost one. He'd seen in happen before a few times and told us its common but she needs to stay in bed for a while in order to be sure she doesn't lose this baby.