1 Day Until the Wedding

CHAPTER NINE

1 Day Until the Wedding

Alana's POV

I can't look at Robb. I physically can't look at him let alone speak to him. After Jon told me about what happened a year ago I can't do it. Each time I see his face I see the sadness and the pain that is within him. I see him so differently now.

Now, I understand why he is how he is. Why he doesn't want to open up to anyone. He doesn't even talk to Jon about what happened. Jon wouldn't tell me the full story though just that Robb had a best friend who tragically died and it really hurt Robb in a way he never healed from. I tried to ask Jon more about it but he wouldn't budge.

Yesterday when Robb took the dust from my shoulder I couldn't bare to look at him. I would have instantly blurt out that I'm sorry for how cruel I'd been. How I'm sorry for not understanding him and how I'm sorry his best friend died.

But I made a promise to Jon. I promised I wouldn't say anything to Robb about it. But that was as far as that promise went. When we were in the great hall Lady Stark pulled me aside after I completely freaked out over Robb being the slightest bit kind to me even if it was out of obligation and not because he truly wanted to be kind.

"Princess, what is ailing you? You're acting different. You are never this... Jumpy." She whispered to me and kept flashing her eyes at Robb who only stood a few feet away. "You can talk to me... Please, you are to be my daughter in a few days. If Robb did something-"

"Jon told me." I said so soft it was even hardly a whisper. The wind would be jealous of how quiet it had been. "About... A year ago."

She looked nearly ready to cry when I said that. "You will not let Robb know you know."

I nodded. "Not until he tells me."

Another nod. "Ask him about the flowers... Something. Get your mind off of it, okay?" She smiled at me. Glad that I know even if it didn't come from Robb himself, but so that I could better understand him perhaps. Perhaps I could be the person who helps him break through this... This madness he has succumb to.

So I did.

I asked him about the flowers and I felt stupid doing so. Asking him about the colors of flower petals that will fall from the ceiling all around us while we share our first dance as husband and wife. It's meant to be a romantic moment but I know it will just be disaster.

Robb will probably be a drunk fool and I will be angry. I will be miserable and desperate for him to just... Talk to me. To befriend me at least but that will never happen. I will always be alone and miserable because it is what he wants for himself.

I didn't expect Robb to take my hand. I didn't expect him to take me to the Gods Wood and teach me a little about his Gods. His Gods who will soon become mine once we wed. And will be the Gods of our children someday. I didn't expect him to compromise. I didn't expect any of it.

When I thanked him for opening up to me he tried to joke. He tried to be funny. He even was trying to apologize but I cut him off before he could even utter the words. I ran off. Because if we kept talking I was going to spill that I knew about his friend.

And I promised Jon that I wouldn't do that.

So I didn't.

Instead I ran and looked so fucking pathetic for doing so.

I had gone to my room and locked myself in there for the rest of the day and night. Myrcella didn't know what to do. She tried everything to calm me down but nothing. Not a damn thing worked. She even made Joffrey come and talk to me but he made my anxiety worse.