The First Snow of Winter

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

The First Snow of Winter

One Week Later

Alana's POV

I've been married for almost a month and already I've spent a week away from my husband. Today a rider came and told us the hunt had been extended. Part of me was relieved but the greater part of me had begun to feel lonely.

Lonely because nearly half the castle had gone on this hunt. It was to celebrate Robb becoming a Prince of Westeros after all, so rightfully, anyone who did not go meant they did not show support to the crown. All of Winterfell's men quickly cleared out and followed suit to attend the hunt.

Leaving the entire castle filled with women and small children who could not attend. Tommen wanted to go but my father did not want to be in charge of a boy of his age. Causing Lord Eddard to leave Brandon and Rickon behind as well.

On the first night when the men all left I immediately mended Robb's broken gloves. It was easy as they were leather and reminded me of stitching skin together. Something I was good at and soon enough Lady Stark agreed to teach me to mend gowns and other fabrics. Which I've gladly taken her up on.

I even decided to make a new set of linens and matching curtains for Robb and I's chambers. It was still strange to say that we shared chambers let alone a bed but without him it has been slightly lonely.

Last night I resorted to letting Grey Wind out of his kennel and up into the room with me where he slept peacefully on Robb's side of the bed. Although I was lonely it was nice to not have to endure the embarrassment of attempting to make an heir with Robb.

There had been no passion and no love. I couldn't look at him after that first night. It was impossible for me knowing the pain behind his own eyes and that he still did not trust me to tell me about Aerion.

But what was worse was he saw me at my most vulnerable and in a completely terrified state. I was humiliated that night and it was not his fault at all. I don't blame him. I'll never blame him. Even if I wanted too I couldn't.

And believe me, I really fucking wanted to blame him.

My only reasoning for not allowing myself to be fully intimate with him is because I'm self-conscious now. I'm embarrassed and I never want him to see me like that ever again. I never want to trust anyone and be close to anyone in such a way. And hasn't been... He hasn't seemed as though he's as willing to do it either.

Bright and early my mother came into my chambers and brought up tea and scones. She placed them onto the side table and sat down onto the bed. Sneering as she saw Grey Wind curled up aside me.

"I nearly thought that animal to be your husband." She said with a hum and then a scoff. I sat up and took a sip from the tea she made for me. She didn't make it the way I like. She's never gotten it right. Robb did though.

Robb made me tea the morning of our wedding and since that day he's brought me tea every single morning. Lemon first in the cup. Tea poured over it. One spoonful of sugar. That's it. Nothing need be changed and nothing need be added.

Perfect the way it is.

Although I wondered if he knew that I made his apple blueberry scones by hand before his hunt. I did my best to follow Lady Stark's recipe but it felt as though it were lacking slightly. So I added some lemon juice to the apples before folding them into the mixture and then I added lemon zest onto the top before baking them.