Chapter 23 ||| I love you too.

{ik i was supposed to update yesterday just be quiet..}

I avoided eye contact with Craig, but I could feel his eyes literally burning a hole through my skull.

"..you what.?" He asked quietly. I heard him shuffle in the snow, likely sitting up as well.

I was silent. What I said, it was clear as day, so I couldn't deny it, but I couldn't exactly bring myself to repeat it either.

"Kyle." He said. His eyes remained on the side of my head, dead on.

I pursed my lips, looking down at the snow. I couldn't read his emotions at all. He was almost always stoic, you'd have to stare into his eyes to tell his emotions, but I couldn't do that right now. I was in a state of utter embarrassment. I don't think I've ever felt so awkward, especially not with Craig.

"..I gotta go home now." I brought myself to mutter, adjusting my position while sitting down but not standing up quite yet. If I did, I would probably fall. I was shaking, and it wasn't because of the cold.

"No, you don't. Tell me, what did you just say." Craig said, firmly grabbing my wrist so I didn't go anywhere. My breath hitched. I know he heard that too.

"..I said um.. I said I might've developed feelings for you..?" I mumbled, cheeks slowly growing hot. Thank god it was dark.

"..are you joking?" He asked. His gaze was still burning holes though my head. God, this was so awkward. Help me help me help me help me.

"I uh... yeah, for sure. Just playing around, you know?" I said, forcing a sheepish grin on my lips as I turned to him slightly. He looked astonished. Eyes slightly wider and eyes full of hope and curiosity. Did he want me to say I wasn't joking?

He was silent for a moment. So was I. This time, the silence WAS awkward. I couldn't bring myself to speak. I couldn't find the right words to say.

"..Let's get you home." He muttered, standing up as he let go of my wrist. I was a little surprised but I took his offering hand and stood up with him. Thank god that was over.

[Craig's pov]

I knew he was lying. He hesitated, and the way he sounded when he said it was genuine. He wouldn't repeat himself if he was truly joking. I'm not even being delusional, Kyle genuinely likes me.

Holy shit, Kyle likes me?

I only them recognized the excitement boiling over in my stomach. I could probably scream and run a lap around our town at the same time in 5 minutes. My hands began to shake slightly as I helped Kyle stand up from the snow littered grass. I noticed his hands were shaking a little too. We're both excited? Or maybe he's nervous?

I'm full of questions and I have an urge to just squeeze him into oblivion. I was really happy, really really happy, but I couldn't do anything for now. As much I as I want to just pick him up and run away, I can't. 

I'm 99% sure he meant it when he said he had developed feelings for me, but that 1% refrains me from doing anything like that. 

"Craig?" He called out.

"Uh, yeah?" I snapped out of my thoughts, shaking my head a little as my eyes refocused on his freckled face.

"..You've been standing there, and you're shaking. Are you alright?" He asked, genuine concern glinting in his green eyes. He's gonna be the death of me.

"Um, yeah. Sorry, spaced out a little." I brushed it off. He looked at me skeptically before nodding. I was still shaking, so it was obviously hard to believe it was just some spacing out. I cleared my throat a little before beginning to walk.