Yeh Vaada Raha

Murtasim stood in the room, determined to deal with the task at hand. He was the Khan, the sarbaraah, the greatest of the greats bowed before him. He decided he could do this. He could definitely make the chocolate cupcakes his wife was craving at 1 a.m.

The recipe was taunting him from his phone screen and the ingredients before challenged him to win the affection of his pregnant wife. If only Ayesha bibi had not gone home for the weekend, he could have woken her up and asked her to make the damn cupcakes. 

The task at hand was crucial as his pyaari Meerab's emotions were all over the place. The scene that had unfolded in the morning flashed before his eyes. 

He had been on his way to the gaon. He had left in a hurry, forgetting to say goodbye to his wife and had paid dearly for it. 

The phone rang and he heard Maryam's frantic voice "Bhai, aap ghar vaapis aajao. Voh bhabhi-"

"Kya hua Meerab ko? Voh theek toh hai?" he had already turned the car around as he questioned his sister. 

"Voh roye jaa rahi hain aur keh rahi hain sirf aapse baat karengi, aap please jaldi aao."

He had returned home to find her in a crying state, as he just took her in her arms, trying to get her to calm down.

"Kya hua Meerab? Batao mujhe."

"Murtasim, tum mujhe bye kahe bina chale gaye? Chodne ka irada hai mujhe?" She asked with teary eyes. 

He almost wanted to laugh at that - the thought of being away from Meerab was funny in the sense of it being impossible and scary in the sense of tearing his heart apart. Before he could provide her any assurance, she did a complete 180 and said "Tum kya chodoge mujhe, mai aur mera beta chod denge tumhe."

He was enraged and thus reminded himself that it was her just her hormones talking before he said "Kisne kaha beta hoga? Hamari beti hogi Meerab."

Meerab had just smiled in response and the crisis was averted. 

Back to the present though, he just couldn't make sense of the stupid recipe. The cupcakes are supposed to rise? He was dejected as he saw his cupcakes, the third batch - Why do mine look they just jumped off a cliff and then some car ran over them? He glared at them, as if they weren't inanimate objects but his enemies. 

"Tum mujhe nahi hara sakte", saying so, he persisted, sweating and cursing until he finally had 4 presentable and edible cupcakes. 

He put them on tray, carrying it to their room as he presented the cupcakes to Meerab "Aapki khwaish, sarakhon par. Ye lo apne cupcakes."

She let out a scream full of glee, eating two cupcakes quickly as her husband's eyes widened in disbelief and admiration. It was all worth it as she pulled him close by the collar of his kameez and kissed him on the lips and just like that he melted. He knew in that moment that he would do anything for his Meerab and their child.