Raat Kali Ek Khawab Mein Aayi

The walls of the room shared by the couple had witnessed the two at the worst and at their best. What had started out as a reluctant acceptance of a forced marriage had been blossoming into a beautiful relationship based on understanding, respect and trust. 

But trust doesn't come easy and is fragile in it's existence - it's only with constant efforts and the intention of two people that trust remains. 

It was this five letter word which continued to test the strength of Meerab Murtasim Khan and Khan Murtasim Khan's relationship.  But it had never been tested like this before. 

It seemed like Maryam's nikaah, something which was supposed to be a joyous occasion, had brought only sadness for everyone. 

Maa begum had been extremely vocal while expressing her dislike in everything that Maryam had done which had led up to her nikaah, still, her daughter not sparing her even a look during her rukhsati hurt her. Maryam, freshly wounded with the betrayal of Anas was doing this nikaah only for the sake of her family. Haya was just waiting for another conflict to brew. 

Back in the room, the couple stood broken, somehow the act that was supposed to bring them closer, break the last wall that stood between them and take their intimacy to another level had brought immense emotional discomfort for both. 

Meerab had slid down on the floor, her back touching the bed while Murtasim sat on the bed as they both contemplated what they had done. 

Meerab, always true to her principles couldn't believe that she had broken her own promise to herself in a moment of weakness. She knew that this was going to happen one day, she had started developing strong feelings for her husband and could even say that she loved him but what bothered her were the circumstances that had led to them to consummate their marriage. 

The haq that she didn't award her husband as a punishment for marrying her, how could she have given it so easily? What was going to happen now? were questions that plagued her.

The events had baffled both of them. It was not supposed to happen this way. 

Murtasim got up, tears in his eyes as he went into the washroom. He thought about the time when the contract had come up and created troubles for them in front of the whole family. While he tore the contract, the one piece of paper that kept them together in a room yet miles away; in front of the family to discourage any questions about her honor, he had pieced together the paper for Meerab since it held so much importance for her. 

Yeh maine kya kardiya was a thought that was going on in their mind.

They were blaming themselves for not stopping, when both of them had simply given in to the moment, eager for this moment, fire and ice clashing and coming together in a passionate encounter.

He realized that in this moment, both of them were hurting separately and they could seek comfort with each other.

He came out of the washroom, so maddened with rage that he felt like he would break everything just like he had broken Meerab, his Meerab's trust in him.

Meerab! his heart called out. 

He saw her sitting on the floor, all curled up and lost. He forgot everything, she was all that mattered, she was all that had ever mattered. 

"Meerab" he called out to her, sliding himself down on the floor beside her. 

She froze at this movement of her husband. The conversation she had with him when she had laid the condition of nikaah on him kept on replaying in her mind. 

"Meerab, please meri taraf dekho." And with the gentlest of movements so as to not startle her, he cupped her cheeks and turned her face to look at him. 

He couldn't stand the hurt in her doe eyes. 

"Meerab, I need to know that you are okay. I know that this was not the way either one of us had thought this would go. But just because it happened the way it did, doesn't mean I regret any of it. I would give myself to you emotionally, physically, mentally everyday without a thought. Bepannah mohabbat karta hun tumse, tumhe aise nahi dekh sakta. Please mujhse baat karo Meerab."

Somehow, sitting on the floor wearing his kurta and all vulnerable, she looked even smaller.

"Murtasim, voh... voh contract. Maine toh usse apni azadi hi maan liya tha."

"Ek contract humein juda nahi kar sakta Meerab."

A piece of paper never stood a chance at keeping them away anyway. 

He asked the question to which he knew if she answered yes, it would end their love right there and then. "Do you regret it?"

This one simple question brought her out of her own world of hurt and allowed her to pay attention to her husband who was equally, if not more vulnerable. 

She removed his hands from her cheeks before moving her body forward to place a kiss full of love and emotion on his cheek. Maintaining eye contact with him, she shook her head no and the hint of a faint smile could be seen on her lips. This pleased him to no end and he finally let out a grateful smile. 

He held her shoulders, motioning her to get up. He picked his shawl up from the dewan and wrapped it around her frame - an action that was meant to signify that he will always be her muhafiz, come what may. They both felt complete in that moment. 

She felt suddenly shy, now fully aware of what had happened. He watched her being unable to make eye contact with him and chuckled in the classic Murtasim way. Cupping her cheek, he made her look at him and sought for silent permission before he moved in to place a kiss on her lips. He was sure he would never get enough of her now that he had a taste. She kissed him back with full fervor, only too eager to reciprocate. They both paused to smile, relishing the comfort that now existed. He rested his forehead on hers, completely content. 

"I love you Meerab."

"I love you Murtasim."

What had started out as a disastrous night couldn't have gone more perfectly well. Only one thing needed to be done for their peace. He asked Maa Begum and Haya to meet him in the living room. Haya had spent a few anxious minutes outside his room, pacing and waiting to hear signs of conflict but was only met with silence. 

He came in the living room holding hands with Meerab and Haya's heart dropped seeing this. This only meant trouble for her. 

"Maa Sahab, Haya ab iss ghar mein nahi reh sakti", he launched without any prelude. 

"Aaj hi ek beti rukhsat kari hai, aur dusri ko nikal dun. Kya keh rahe ho Murtasim?"

"Haya ne kabhi koi mauka nahi choda, mere aur meerab ke darmiyaan galatfehmi khada karne ka. Aaj tak, uski har galti ko nazarandaaz karta aaraha hun, ab nahi. Aaj isne saari haddein paar kardi."

"Mai tumse bahut mohabbat karti hun Murtasim, bahut zyada, jo kiya tumhe haasil karne ke liye kiya", Haya pleaded, making a last - ditch effort at making him realize that she was the one. Haya's delusions were getting out of control and everyone but her could see this. Even Maa Begum, who was ready to say words to defend Haya, stopped as she heard this.

Meerab knew that this was his way of making up and she was grateful for it. Murtasim took Meerab's hand and they both walked out as Haya was banished from the house forever. 

Phew! Writing this chapter (Episode 47 reimagined) was difficult for so many reasons but I am glad I did it. The fact that the writers had such talented actors with beautiful chemistry and still managed to make a huge emotional mess out of it baffles me. 

Please leave your comments on this chapter!