Gaata Rahe Mera Dil

Law had seemed like such an interesting career option, but Meerab had never imagined the journey to be so arduous. She had underestimated the amount of work a lawyer put in as a law student in order to verbally pummel the opposition in a court . Nevertheless, she wasn't one to shy away from a challenge.

As she sat on the chair, all her books laid open in front of her, her headache only increased seeing the amount of syllabus she had to cover. She was currently competing for the first position with another classmate, Nazia. She would have let it go but Nazia was too conceited and condescending and liked to lord over her position over her batchmates. This made Meerab all the more determined to cover her portion.

Mai yeh degree khatam karungi ya yeh degree mujhe khatam karegi was a constant lament of hers during exams.

She was currently poring over her book detailing Intellectual Property Laws when she heard Meesam cry out, "Mama!"

Alarmed, she came out of the room and her headache was replaced by anger as she realized that there was no maid in the vicinity. It wasn't like she was dependent on maids. It was just that no one was at home currently and managing her studies and Meesam together would prove to be a daunting task. Maa Begum and Murtasim had gone to visit Maryam and would be spending the night in gaon so she had enlisted the help of Mai to look after her daughter while she studied. She was about to go search the entire house with her daughter in tow when Mai entered with her husband closely behind. 

"Maaf kariye Bibi, Khan ke liye darwaaza kholne gayi thi."

"Koi baat nahi."

He came in and took Meesam in his arms, kissing her on the cheeks and then handed her to Mai and asked her to take their daughter to her bedroom. 

Somehow, seeing her husband had eased all her worries about how she was going to get through. So grateful that he was home, she tackled him into a hug and he almost fell backwards.

 "Tumne aaj se pehle mujhe itna khush kabhi nahi kiya."

Her husband, who would never leave a chance to tease her, said "Really? Meesam ko banate waqt bhi nahi?"

She smacked him on the shoulder and started making her way back to her study table. Murtasim, who had gotten to see her after 2 whole days, muttered "Ouch! Sorry yaar Meerab, mazaak kar raha tha mai toh bas."

"Mujhse yeh padhai bilkul nahi ho rahi Murtasim, mai chhod rahi hun yeh." She was pacing the room anxiously. 

"Mai aagaya hun, tum tension mat lo, yeh toh hamesha se khwaab tha na tumhara, ab jab ise haqeeqat mein badalne ke itne kareeb ho, toh give up kardogi? Mai karne hi nahi dunga."

" Tumhare sadqay wari jawan Murtasim, chalo ab fatafat coffee banado mere liye."

"Pehle hug toh karne do yaar."

"Murtasim, romance ka muaqa tabhi milega jab mere exams ho jayenge."

"Iski toh university hi band karwana kaa jee chahta hia, time hi nahi hai mere liye", he muttered.

"Kya kaha tumne?"

"Nothing!" and like the supporting man in his main character biwi 's life, he went to the kitchen to do the needful.

She was really grateful for him. After she had Meesam, her Mama hadn't been in favor of her continuing her LLB. Even Maa Begum was hesitant at first, hoping that Meerab would instead settle more easily into the role of Khaani now that she was a mother. Murtasim had long discussions with the two women the very next day. He politely thanked them for their concerns while emphasizing that whatever Meerab wanted to do would be her choice and he would fully support her. They were going to take up the responsibilities of their daughter together and she shouldn't have to sacrifice anything. Otherwise, what kind of example would she be setting for their daughter? They were both ashamed at having asked Meerab to reconsider her decision and apologized to her. 

Three years later and Murtasim was glad that his wife had went ahead with her LLB. She was thriving in college and he wanted nothing more than her happiness. 

Murtasim made coffee for Meerab and after preparing Meesam's night time milk, took it to the respective rooms. Meesam's cozy lavender room was adjacent to her parent's and Murtasim and Meesam's chatter could be heard in the background  while Meerab studied. This didn't bother her in the least, just made her put in more efforts, eager to spend time with the two. 

She got up after an hour of studying, finally glad that she was done with her syllabus and would have an entire day for revision. She went to Meesam's room and was met with the sight of a sleepy Meesam resting her head on her father's chest as he read her The Little Prince. A lot of their days actually looked like this, both of them rushing off to their work after having breakfast with the entire family in the morning and night time was whatever - Meesam - wanted. By this time, Murtasim knew more songs of Disney movies than of recent artists. Meerab had even come across him singing Let it go while he was combing his hair. Instead of being embarrassed, he had started singing it even more loudly and she had laughed so much that it brought tears to her eyes. At the insistence of Meesam and Murtasim, Meerab had even given in to their request for a dog and they had brought Bella home as a golden retriever pup.

Bella was resting at the foot of the bed in her little bed and at Meerab's arrival, ran to her, wagging it's tail, in the hopes of getting some treats and belly rubs. Meerab picked up the dog and brought it into the bed with the rest of the family. She kissed her sleepy daughter on the forehead.

"Aaj vaapis aane ke liye thanks Murtasim", she whispered. 

"Tumhe dekhe bina neend thodi aati. Aur mini Meerab se bina mile kaise reh sakta hun mai."

"Mini Meerab", Meesam repeatedly adorably, half asleep, as she tried to fight it in order to stay awake with her parents.

Murtasim continued to read the story and the mother - daughter duo were lulled into a peaceful sleep by his voice. 

He smiled at the two, feeling infinite sukoon in the moment. 

Just Murtasim bestie being a green f̶l̶a̶g̶  forest for an entire chapter! Also, the mental image of the three of them nestled in the bed with their dog made me so happy. Also, the book is at #3 in the tag Wahajali (on his birthday too) 💙