Pal Pal Dil Ke Paas

The occupants of Khan Haveli had never had happier times. Maryam, married off to Naurez had been blessed with a baby boy - Babil Naurez Khan and was very happy with her husband. While she had initially thought that nothing would heal the deep wound that had been left by the betrayal of Malik Zubair, the patience in love shown by her husband had gradually managed to heal her heart. Though she would never forgive Haya for the part she had played in creating problems for everyone which had almost ended up in her Meerab Bhabhi being sent away forever, she was happy now. It had all ended well. The years had been kind to the older members of the house. Anwar Khan, initially snubbed at all the efforts he made to reconcile with his daughter was finally making some headway. He had sat her down one fine day, opened up the box of bittersweet memories that was his late wife - Nadia Khan and had made tearful apologies. Meerab, though initially stumped had gone back to him a few days later, wanting to know more about her mother and had granted him forgiveness by calling him Baba. Maa Begum had been softened by years. While she still arbitrated the matters concerning women, her preferred activity was spending time with Meesam. She lit up around her and spoiled her the most. Meesam could often be seen trying to imitate her Dadi, wrapping her father's shawl clumsily around her tiny frame like her grandmother wore her dupatta. The parents of this young girl were the happiest. It felt they they had finally been through all trials and tribulations, passed all tests and just wanted to enjoy each other's love and company for now. Only banter and joy filled their conversations. 

They usually had a very hurried morning, especially Meerab. Currently in her third year of LLB, she was exhausted. She had started looking at legal internships she wanted to pursue and was giving law her 100% percent. If not found with a book, she would be practicing her arguments for moot court. The journey was made worth it by constant words of affirmation from the entire family. 

It had been an especially exhausting week for Meerab for the third year of her degree was finally done. The entire week, Murtasim had stayed up late, reading Meesam bedtime stories no matter how tired he was. He would come to his wife after having put their daughter to sleep, usually with a cup of coffee for her. He made the best coffee and she had taken full advantage of her coffee connoisseur husband. Even as she came out after giving her last exam, her mind drifted back to him and how tired he had looked. 

She would make it up to him today. Marriage was work, a delightful series of adventure in which both the husband and wife had to make willing contributions. If not done properly, it would end up feeling like a chore. Meerab and Murtasim had been blessed in this respect, they had learnt quickly how not communicating properly during the initial stages of marriage had almost wrecked them. Now with a few unspoken rules, they were thriving. 

Meerab had made it clear that they would never go to sleep angry. Murtasim, his love language being physical touch had asked that no matter what, they would be kissing each other goodnight. If the kiss led to something else, all the more better. Meerab had always ordained that he would be doing all the coffee making and Murtasim had asked her for a date night per fortnight. Finally, this was a contract Murtasim was in full agreement with - they had sealed it with a kiss which had turned into a steamy make out session. 

Meerab went to find Meesam, eager to spend some proper time with her. She found her snuggled in the lap of her Maryam Phuphi, while Babil was in Anwar's lap, playing with his beard. 

"Meesam!" she called out to her. 

Sprinting with cat like agility, the little girl ran to hug her mother.

"Mama!"

"Phuphi ko tang toh nahi kiya?"

Meesam, keeping her arms on her waist, in an attempt to look authoritative but her cuteness made it all the more adorable, cried out "Phuphi, mai aapko tang karti hun?"