Seventeen

Edward smiled as he couldn't wait to give his gift to Madeline. Today was Bella's birthday, but he wasn't going to celebrate it as he was not going to deal with the whole thing. It's disastrous and he knew it along with Madeline. "Edward?" He looked up to see Rosalie. "What did you get Mads?"

"A necklace." He says. "It's just a plan necklace. I know how she gets when money is spent on her and I am not getting scolded by her." She laughed. "We won't be here for the party."

"Understand." She says. "Jasper found something the other day when he was talking to Mads."

"What?" He asked.

"She's been doing research about our kind. She's part human and she's trying to make sure there is no way for us to conceive with a human. She told Jasper that so far, she hasn't found anything."

"Actually, she texted me last night. She found a news article about a woman, human, died after her baby had bit her. She thinks this child is the first hybrid."

Edward was confused. "Why didn't she tell me that she was doing this?"

"Because I thought you would make me stop as you think I would get my hopes up." They looked to see Madeline in the room standing behind Edward. "I know you and that's why I was searching. I hope you aren't mad?"

"Mad? Madeline, I could never be upset with you." Edward says getting up and walking over to her. "Let's go to school and talk about this on the way. I want to know what you have found."

"I'll ride with you. I'm curious."

Rosalie watched them leave. She shook her head at them, but she wouldn't change the way things are, minus Bella and James. She walked out of the room thinking about how bad this party will be.
~~~
After school, Edward took Madeline to the store to get Bella something. "Baby?"

"Yeah."

"I have something to give you." She looked at him as he handed her a box. "I bought the necklace first, but thought of a promise ring."

Opening the box, Madeline saw a necklace and a ring. "Edward...."

"I made a promise when you woke up and that is going to seal it. I love you, baby and I won't go anywhere without you." She smiled as she hugged him. "The thought...."

"Edward, I don't know why the sudden change today, but I know you will keep your promise. Want to come by and watch a movie?"

Edward nodded as Madeline grabbed a necklace and paid for it. Edward nodded as they headed out.
~~~
Bella arrived to see her sister and Edward watching tv. She wanted to say something, but she didn't. She was tired and was going to go to bed. The two heard her going upstairs till the sound of a phone ringing. "There's going to be a fight."

"Yep." She kissed him. "Go home. I'll stay home tomorrow."

"Okay."

Sharing a kiss, Madeline smiled as he pulled away and left. Walking upstairs, Madeleine listened for Bella since their father was at work. She heard her sister's resting heartbeat and wondered what happened at the party and if Bella got her gift.

Going into her room, Madeline shut her door, took her jeans off, grabbed her pajamas and started getting ready for bed. She hopes they don't try to make Edward leave.