Chapter 2

After half an hour of troubled slumber, Mehak slowly opened her eyes, only to realize that she was still confined within the confines of the bus. Faiza, who had been seated beside her, was now engrossed in a book, her attention momentarily diverted from the world outside.

Mehak met Faiza's gaze, and the girl inquired nonchalantly, "Oh, you're awake?" Mehak responded with a simple, emotionless nod, indicating her return to consciousness. As if on cue, the bus came to a halt, and the driver's voice rang out through the intercom, declaring a half-hour break for passengers to grab a meal.

"If anyone wants to eat something, they can," the driver announced before making his exit. One by one, passengers began to disembark, leaving Mehak and Faiza alone in their row. Sensing an opportunity for connection, Faiza leaned closer and asked, "Would you like to eat something?"

Mehak, her emotions buried beneath a stoic exterior, softly declined the offer. Faiza, seemingly determined to bridge the gap, rose from her seat and exited the bus. After a brief absence, she returned, clutching two burgers in her hands. She settled back into her seat and offered one to Mehak, saying, "Eat this. You must be hungry."

Although hunger gnawed at her stomach, Mehak hesitated at first, contemplating a polite refusal. However, her gnawing hunger prevailed, and she reluctantly accepted the burger with a simple, "Okay." She began to eat, though her appetite was subdued by a lingering unease.

As she took bites of the burger, a sudden recollection struck her like a bolt of lightning. A flood of traumatic memories rushed back, and she abruptly pushed the half-eaten burger away, her face contorted with distress.

"No, please, no," she cried out, her voice tinged with fear and regret. "I don't want to eat this. I promise I won't do this again. Don't make me eat this."

Faiza, taken aback by Mehak's sudden outburst, watched her with wide, bewildered eyes. Without hesitation, she reached out and gently cupped Mehak's tear-streaked face, her heart full of concern. "What's wrong?" she implored. "Why are you shouting like this?"

Mehak gazed into Faiza's eyes, her own eyes filled with vulnerability. She pleaded, "Please, save me."

With that, she wrapped her arms around Faiza in a desperate embrace, tears streaming down her cheeks. Faiza, still bewildered but moved by the girl's agony, returned the hug, offering comfort through the silence of her presence.

Time seemed to stretch as Mehak clung to Faiza, her sobs echoing in the narrow space of the bus. Faiza held her gently, her thoughts racing, trying to comprehend the depth of Mehak's anguish and the mystery that shrouded her past.

After what felt like an eternity, Mehak's sobs began to subside, and she reluctantly released her grip on Faiza. With a deep breath, Faiza cautiously broached the subject. "If you're comfortable," she said softly, "you can tell me why you were crying."

Mehak hesitated, grappling with the tumult of emotions that had been unleashed. She finally whispered, "I came out from hell."

Faiza's eyes widened with concern, and she leaned in, her voice filled with compassion. "What do you mean?" she asked.

Mehak locked eyes with Faiza, her gaze filled with the weight of her past, and uttered, "This beauty of mine is a curse for me."

Faiza, still unsure of the depths of Mehak's suffering, searched for understanding. "What do you mean by that?" she inquired, her curiosity tinged with empathy.
{FLASHBACK}

Mehak sat on her bed, engrossed in a lively phone conversation with her friend Sara. The excitement in Sara's voice was palpable.

Sara: "Mehak, guess what? Tomorrow, there's a fair happening in our city! We have to go!"