Chapter 5

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 5

What had she done?

It was the first thought that ran through Madison's head once it stopped swimming and she was able to think again. Her body was throbbing with a heat and a nervous need that she never knew existed. She watched Matt move away from her and sit down out of her reach. When he ran his fingers through his hair she took note that his hands were shaking.

It was freezing up in that attic, but her body was so warm. Running her fingers over her cheeks, Madison felt the raw areas on her face, where his stubble had scratched her.  She didn't mind, it was the first time she'd felt it and could still feel it. She wanted his hands back on her. She wanted his lips warming hers.

The moments seem to drag on in silence. Madison was barely able to clear her head to fully comprehend what just happened. She just kissed the man she had dreamed about for years. The man she had compared every other man she met. The one no one had been able to measure up against. The one who never noticed her until now.

God, what had she done?

Matt kept his distance and gave her the space he assumed she needed and wanted. The kiss had electrified him. After that explosion of heady need he couldn't help himself, he wanted more of her. How could that be?

He had never felt such intensity with any other woman. Not even Lindsey had sparked that kind of fire in him. It amazed Matt, she not only allowed him to kiss her, but responded with the same want, the same need, that he felt.

Had he moved too fast? Had he made a grave error in judgment? He was investigating her case. It could be considered unethical conduct. He had to take a step back. What did he really know about her after all these years?

He needed to say something, but what? He hadn't considered the consequences. The only thing he thought of was kissing her. It just seemed like they both wanted the kiss. At the time it felt right.

Now, Matt felt awkward seeing the fear and surprise on her face. Madison had quickly turned as shy and timid as he had seen her last night. The fear in her eyes when she looked at him, told Matt he needed to tread carefully. She would run away if he wasn't careful. So how was he to keep her from running away?

Madison sat back on her heels. Staring at him with those doe eyes. She seemed scared as if he was holding a rifle to her head. Was it panic he felt, fear possibly. But not a fear for her life, but for her heart. She thought he would break her heart.

No one in her life had ever made her feel so much in a single moment. Her lips still burned from the heat he had inflicted. Madison was shaking with need, and cold. Linking her hands together, she tried to hide the tremors that were racing through her system.

"I'm sorry," Matt whispered, without looking in her direction.

The soft, sudden intake of breath told him immediately that was the wrong thing to say. Fuck! He was definitely messing this up. He wasn't sorry for kissing her. He was sorry for the circumstances. He couldn't change what he did. He didn't want to just as he knew he couldn't go back to being just a good cop again.

Madison tried to hide her reaction to his apology. She couldn't help the quiet breath she had taken in response to his comment. The jerky release of that breath she hid with a quick turn away from him.

Hiding her face, and the tears threatened to slip from the corner of her eyes and down her cheek, Madison held herself together. She had been alone and rejected most of her life. This would be different. It was a joke, a momentary lapse in judgment. Nothing important to him and couldn't be important to her.