Chapter 22

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 22

Slowly they hiked. The sun had set, the air was freezing without the shelter of the trees and her teeth were chattering. Keeping a hold on Josh with one hand and using the other to help her climb the rocks, Madison tried to stay focused on keeping them alive. As long as they kept Jerry distracted they had a better chance of making it out alive. Madison hoped Peyton had seen them and got a hold of Matt and Travis. Hopefully the cavalry would be there soon.

When they finally reached the cave entrance, Madison felt like her legs were about to fall off. The sheer exhaustion of the climb had turned her legs into rubber. This kind of exercise was not something she was used to. She knew that Josh and Cassie had taken a beating on the hike as well. As soon as they got into the darkness of the cave, she nudged Josh into one of the dark corners.

"Stay put," she whispered and moved away from him. Maybe if he was quiet there in the dark, Jerry wouldn't see him and he could sneak away.

The beam of light flashed in the cave and illuminated the area. Josh squinted his eyes when Jerry blazed the flashlight in his direction then back to the two women. "Don't be stupid, kid. I know where you are. If you try to run, I'll find you. Worse, I'll have to hurt one of these ladies to get you back. You don't want that, do you?" Jerry asked Josh as he aimed the gun at Madison.

"No, sir," Josh's voice was so small in the darkness.

He wished there was something he could do, but what? What would his father do? Josh would have to think about that. His dad was a cop, one of the best from what his mom had told him. He really didn't know his dad. He hadn't spent much time with him over the last few years. Josh knew he would do something for them though.

His father was a cop, he was the son of a cop. He needed to think like a cop now and what he could do to get them out of this. What did they do in the movies?  What would John McClane do if this was a 'Die Hard' flick?

Whatever it was, he would make his dad proud.
"Leave him be, Jerry!" Cassie's temper was running thin. She was tired, hungry, and worst of all scared. It wasn't a good combination and she knew it. She's been known to make some pretty bad decisions when those things were in the mix. "You wanted out, you got out. Now let Josh go. You've got Madison and me to get you out of here. You don't need him."

"Shut your trap, Cassie," Jerry yelled, shifting the gun in her direction. "Don't make me tie you up and gag you. I'd really rather not at the moment."

Jerry was feeling the fatigue from the hike as well. He was in decent shape, but even in good shape the hike had been a battle for him. That's a good sign that he's tired too maybe he'll fall asleep and they can sneak out.

"Then let him go!" Cassie argued and stepped toward Jerry. "He's just a kid, Jerry. He's not from around here. He's not gonna be able to find his way back. You've already sealed his fate by bringing him out here. You don't have to be more of an asshole than you already are!"

She wasn't about to tell Jerry that since Josh arrived her boys had been showing Josh every hiding place in the woods. Josh should know it well enough now to get home. Cassie was betting their lives that he could do just that.

"Just let him go!" Cassie took another step and got into Jerry's face. With a quick hard shove, Cassie pushed Jerry to his limits. It wasn't what he expected or wanted her to do. Now he would have to restrain her.

"Damn it, Cassie!" Jerry muttered, when he swung the butt of the gun at her face. Making contact, the hit knocked her to the ground.

Madison let out a scream as Cassie groaned when she hit the ground. The gun had hit her on the cheek bone. Her eyes felt like they were on fire, while the side of her face throbbed. Oh, Travis was going to be pissed about this one. Cassie thought it could work in their favor. Good that's very good. The madder Travis was, the more trouble Jerry was in. He had no idea what kind of shit storm he just stirred up. Travis was lethal as a marine, Jerry really was an idiot cop if he thought Travis wouldn't come after them.