Chapter 21

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 21

The drive back out to the house was done in silence. Madison watched every move inside the car and out, glancing out the window while she tried to keep her head. She was paranoid about being followed just like the rest of them were.
She wasn't the one who killed Stone. They all knew it now, and they could prove it. They knew a cop had killed Stone, someone who was working on the case was responsible for the murder. He had been watching them this whole time. Why was he tormenting her? Who was he? Why did he kill Stone? They needed the answers soon.

Peyton drove in silence. She didn't want to look at her cohorts. She didn't want to be involved, despite her own questions about the case. She was involved deeper than she anticipated. She had gotten involved the moment she set foot in the jail cell, even before that, when she heard Daniel's voice on the phone she immediately accepted the case. She should have known better. This was all beyond her skill level. What was she going to do with the information she had now?

Cassie was fuming as they pulled up the drive. The conversation with Travis and Matt rolled over and over in her head. The brothers were mad because the cops didn't find the evidence. They weren't even appreciative because they had. Cassie couldn't believe it. She was just as good, if not better, than half the cops on the force. Why couldn't they just give her credit for using her head?

"Chauvinistic pigs!" she muttered angrily under her breath. "I cannot believe those two," Cassie exclaimed as she swung into the house. "We found the evidence. We did what their team of wonder cops couldn't and do we get a thank you? Do we get a good job? No! We get 'keep your trap shut and 'just you wait 'til I get home!'" Cassie mimicked Travis in a deeper voice as she flopped down on the couch and crossed her arms over her chest. Her foot continued to tap on the floor in frustration.

"We weren't supposed to leave the house, Cassie," Madison reminded her as she strolled in and removed her coat. Hanging it neatly on the rack next to the door, she stepped into the living room and hesitated. There was a coldness Madison couldn't explain to the air. She stayed where she was and scanned the room.
Something was different in the house, she could feel it. "We were in the wrong for doing exactly what Travis had asked us not to do."

Cassie rolled her eyes, "Bullshit!"

She was tired of being the good wife and doing as she was told all the time. She was smart and just as capable of doing the investigating as any of the men on the force.

Travis was just like her father, the Colonel, and had a way of keeping her locked up and protected. The overbearing gene must have transferred to Travis when her father had retired. They were two peas in a pod.

It was just like when she tried for the police academy and was shot down. She had been the only female in the group. She knew the moment she wanted more than a desk job that the men who were selecting the new recruits wouldn't approve of her.

Her mind wandered as she focused on what she had dreaded. Cassie's eyes widened and she sat up straight and stared at the chair in front of her. "No."

Her hesitant whisper was barely audible. She saw the books on the chair. Looking over at the small coats that had been flung to the floor, she felt panic setting in. The boys were home, but it was dead silent in the house. Her head tilted sideways as she listened, could they really be that quiet and not be asleep? She wondered.

"Cassie?" Peyton broke the silence and received a "shush" in reply. Peyton and Madison followed Cassie's gaze from the coats to upstairs. None of them could believe three small boys could be that quiet doing homework or playing and not be asleep. "You don't think?"