Chapter 20

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 20

Travis had a bad feeling something was wrong. He convinced Matt to take a drive out to the house just to check on everything and be sure the family was safe. When they pulled up in the drive, the old truck was gone. Everything was quiet, too quiet. Travis knew immediately something was wrong. Jumping out of the car, he raced up the steps and into the house.

"Cassie!! Madison! Boys?" Travis yelled as Matt walked in behind him.

"Where the hell is everyone?"

"Maybe they went for ice cream," Matt muttered, hoping he was right.

Matt knew if the women left the house when they were specifically told to stay put, Travis was going to flip a gasket. Cassie wasn't the best at following directions under normal circumstances, but especially when it didn't suit her. His love life was a prime example of that. The burning knot in Matt's belly told him, unfortunately he was hoping for nothing. Trouble had found its mark.

The loud thud from upstairs had both men drawing their guns and carefully heading up the stairs. Travis took the lead with Matt close behind him. The hand signals they gave one another were the same as they had used since they were kids sneaking up on their younger siblings. It was silent on the second floor, except for the soft rustling in the last bedroom. One of the kids maybe or an animal, Travis thought, but definitely not any of the five people he should be finding here. Travis nodded to Matt and they assumed their roles. Travis stood on one side of the door, Matt on the other. Slowly, Matt took hold of the door knob, and silently, on the count of three pushed the door open.

There on the floor was Jack, the rookie cop that had been assigned to watch the family. His hands and feet were bound with laundry rope while he pathetically looked up at them. He had an old handkerchief tucked in his mouth and tied behind his head. They had even put one of Cassie's sleep masks over his eyes, which he had managed to push down to his chin. The poor man wiggled and squirmed on the floor trying to get himself loose.

Matt was surprised Jack hadn't been able to break the rope. The laundry rope the girls had used was strong, but Jack was definitely stronger. Matt had gone to the gym with him a time or two. The man could lift almost twice his weight. Jack was anything but a slouch. He was in very good shape and for two small women like Cassie and Madison to get one over on him would have been something to see.

Jack's eyes were red with anger as he looked up at the brothers, who didn't know whether to be furious or laugh at the situation. Matt quickly went to the officer's side to check to see if he was okay.

"Hold still," Matt ordered, slipping his gun back into its holster while he moved to Jack and began untying him. "Will you stop moving so I can get the knot out?"

As Matt pulled the handkerchief from his mouth, Jack coughed then cursed. "Your damn wife and that crazy girlfriend of yours are in a whole heap of trouble now, McKennan... kidnapping a police officer."

It was obvious Jack was upset. Travis couldn't blame him really, being tied up like a hog by two women half his size could piss off any man.

"You weren't kidnapped, you idiot. They tied you up good, and you're right where you're supposed to be. You are right, though," Travis sighed and walked over to kneel down next to Jack. "They are in a heap of trouble."

Matt looked up at Travis and shook his head. Cassie just didn't know when to sit tight. Travis helped Matt finish untying Jack and helped the old boy to his feet.

"Where did they go?"

"Damned if I know." Jack cursed under his breath while rubbing the circulation back into his wrists. "They said something about going to find the evidence for themselves. That even if the mother's house was gone there was another place they could look."