Chapter 7

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 7

Locked safely in his home, he took out the book he found in Stone's safe. Flipping through the pages, he scanned through the information. Name after name, dollar after dollar owed. There was so much dirt he now held in his hands that Stone made his fortune from. It's all his now.

There are other entries as well. People who owe him favors or money, places that Stone used for his clandestine activities, meetings that weren't on record with the city council were recorded here. And so much more.

Pierce Stone had certainly been a busy man. He had the city council in his pocket. Moreover, he had them by their wallet. Every man had dirt recorded. Every dollar owed would now be paid to him. It was the last few pages of the book he needed. Those were the big dollars, the heavy hitters that with a push would then owe him.

Flipping back and forth between the big hitters and the information on them, the anger grew. Those pages he needed, the ones with the minute details, the pictures he knew Stone had were missing. Slamming the book closed, he cursed out loud. He needs those pages, there is only one person who would have gotten to them before he had and she just got back in town.

"I'll get reacquainted with you soon, Madison Stone. We're going to have some catching up to do."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Nothing was said for an hour. Madison got up and made sandwiches. She wished she could make some hot tea, it would warm her up and sooth her nerves. But no electricity was putting a damper on food preparation. Madison thought maybe she could cook over the fireplace flame, but knowing her luck she'd probably set the whole place on fire.

Matt kept his distance for most of the hour. The only words uttered during their meal was when he thanked her for the food. It was awkward and Matt hated it. He wanted to move forward and get over the uncomfortable feeling in his stomach.

The silence lasted long enough, Matt figured, once the dishes were put away. By the time they had finished and moved back to the couch. They sat on opposite ends of the couch in front of the fire when he pulled her to him again. He only wants to hold her. If he could keep her warm, she might warm up to him again.

Matt wants to keep her safe as long as he can. If she could just feel secure with him. He needs her strength. Despite what Madison thinks of herself, Matt knew she had more strength than she gave herself credit for. She was a lifeline for him now. Someone who can help him through this dark moment.

If he can just get through the night without driving himself crazy from thinking about his son and ex wife. Just until he gets word that Josh is home safe. With Madison in his arms, Matt felt he didn't need a drink to make it through this.

"Matt, I'm so sorry." Madison finally spoke, tilting her head up to look at him.

Her head remained against his shoulder as she looked up. Those big blue eyes staring into his made his heart melt. Madison was there for him, no questions, no talking. Just when he needed her. Not that she had a choice. She could have left him alone but she didn't. She didn't feel the need to talk about any of it. She just gave him time to gather his thoughts. It meant more to Matt than he could have imagined.

Madison wanted to get Matt's mind off of the death of his ex-wife but there is so much worry in his eyes over his son's safety. If she could divert his train of thought to the case, maybe she could keep him from worrying so.

"I swear, Matt, I didn't kill my father." She hoped that he would believe her.

"I know." Matt absentmindedly kissed her temple.