Chapter 25

Thank you for reading Enjoy. This series continues with book three of the series, Flames of Honor, which will be coming soon to Wattpad.

Chapter 25

The early morning sun crept in the kitchen window as three of the four brothers huddled around their first cups of coffee for the day. Travis knew this wasn't a brotherly chat that was coming. They all knew there was more, much more than they had discovered to the murders. Too much didn't make sense and there were too many holes in the story. Finding those answers was going to take time though.

"She has it right," Travis started the conversation. "Cassie said this isn't over. What happened in that cave scared the shit out of her. No matter how much we deny it, no matter what we try to prove, someone else killed Stone."

The two younger siblings were in agreement. Cassie is smart and she got freaked out in the cave. She was also a Colonel's daughter who knew the difference between right and wrong. She had been frightened beyond words by a man that had terrorized her. But she wasn't going to pin a murder on him when the evidence points to someone else.

"You still think it's a cop," Michael concluded.
It made sense. Only someone on the inside would have the knowledge of procedures. Where things were kept, how the department worked, and more importantly how their family worked. The person who did this was more than just a cop, he was a friend. That idea burned viciously in Michael's heart. That was a straight out betrayal.

"I don't like it," Daniel swallowed the burnt coffee, letting the heat sting his tongue. The bitterness was raw and ripe in his mouth. "You're saying that someone we know, someone who knows us well enough to be a friend did this."

The three minds working in that room worked as one. Pieces needed to be put together in the puzzle, faces needed to be placed, minds needed to be cleared. The only way to solve this case was for them to work as one. That meant they didn't rely on anyone outside of that room. That meant everyone else was a suspect.

Travis had left for many years before he felt like this was his home again. Michael and Daniel had never left though. That hard pulse of betrayal ripped harder at them then it did Travis. Travis had remained distant from most of the people in town, but his brothers had childhood friends and never broken those ties to them. One of those friends had betrayed their family.

After the Marine Corps, Travis knew people who could place targets on those he loved. He protected what was his though. Cassie and the boys, his brothers and now Madison and Josh, those were his circle. Travis felt the Marine rise to attention inside him. His wife would not be harmed by any man again. She's been through enough.

"We find him, set a trap and find him," Travis began. "He knows Cassie shot Jerry. He knows we have a suspicion about his connection to Stone."

"He was there at the cave," Michael muttered, putting the pieces together. The two brothers looked at Michael and knew who he was talking about. "It could have been him. He has a motive. I don't think it's ... "

"Crazy?" Cassie finished his sentence.

She had been in the doorway listening. She knew something was up when all three were up and down making coffee before she was even out of bed. None of them were ever the first up, she ruled the morning time so something was being discussed and they didn't want the women or children to know. If they weren't called into work, none of them got up before ten.

Stepping into the kitchen, she reached into the cupboard and got down her own mug. "Jerry wasn't the killer. Don't get me wrong, Jerry was crazy. He definitely was guilty of a crime, but Stone's murder wasn't it." Calmly, Cassie poured her coffee and joined the men at the table.