Chapter 19

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 19

Cassie hadn't been shocked when Madison told her of the nightmares and how they mixed with the shadow of the man that seemed to keep slipping in and out of the house. She wasn't surprised to find out Madison had seen someone in and around the house when she was a child and now.

What Cassie was afraid of, was that the person who had scared Madison all those years ago was someone that they all knew and trusted. It made what she decided to do all the more difficult and frightening.

Setting their plan into motion, they agreed not to tell anyone what they were up to. Madison and Cassie tried to keep up the status quo. Madison remained in hiding in the house and Cassie got edgier by the minute knowing Travis was getting suspicious of her.

She wasn't good at lying. And she was asking more questions than usual. Travis was able to pick up on her moods too well not to see something was bothering her. It was two days later before they had what they needed to get started.

Getting into Pierce Stone's home was no easy task. Cassie had taken Travis' police ID with the picture on it and forged their own ID badges. Cassie was rather proud of the job she had done. She hadn't had to forge an ID in years and this was rather exciting to get to be on the investigating end of things. Even though she knew all hell would break loose when Travis and Matt found out about their excursion, Cassie couldn't hold back. She had to help Madison the only way she could, knowing full well they would never hear the end of it.

Cassie called the station, claiming she couldn't remember either of the brother's schedules and she wanted to have a family dinner with everyone at the table for once and needed to know when they would all be home. Travis wasn't buying it, but told her they would be home by six at the latest. Immediately, he began quizzing her and insisted she tell him what she was up to.

"I know you're up to something, Cassie. Just tell me what it is? Did the boys get into my baseball cards again?" Travis asked, knowing she was hiding something.

"No, why would I cover for them? I'm not covering or hiding anything. Can't I just plan a family dinner?" Cassie tried to lie.

"Not gonna work, baby. Tell me what you did? Or is this something you're about to do? This isn't the time for games, sweetheart. There's too much going on with Madison's case right now." Travis reminded her as she tried to dodge the questions.

"I just want some time with you. I thought after dinner, Madison could watch the boys and you and I could spend some time alone," She even tried to do a little phone seduction, but her husband wasn't in the mood.

Travis still wasn't convinced nothing was up by the time she hung up with him. Cassie only hoped he wouldn't come home early to find they had detained the guard sent to watch the house and sent the boys to a friend's house in order to do some searching on their own. Just as Madison and Cassie were about to leave the house, they ran into another obstacle.

"I hope I'm not interrupting," Peyton announced, when the door opened just as she was about to knock. "I was hoping to catch you at home so I could ask a few more questions, but it looks like my timing is off."

Cassie tensed, she was the worst liar in the world and now she would be lying to a member of the court. What was it with her? Everyone else she knew could lie no problem, even her boys could do it. It was obvious they took after Travis, not her.

"We just have a few things to do in town." It wasn't really a lie, just an omission of details.

"I won't keep you long," Peyton ignored the look of annoyance Cassie gave her and brushed past the two women into the house. "Madison, I hope you don't mind, but I would like to tape our discussion so I can review it later." Peyton set her briefcase down on the coffee table and began pulling out a notepad and recorder.