Chapter 13

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 13

It had been a long night. Madison didn't get back to sleep. The idea that someone had been there while she was asleep frightened her more than she was willing to admit. She hadn't been alone, Madison was sure of that.

Someone had snuck into the house. Someone had lit a fire in the fireplace and put her medication into the medicine cabinet. Medicine, she distinctly remembered, putting in her purse. The same medication, the police said they didn't have when they checked her things at the time of her arrest, or at her release, had suddenly appeared in her purse when she got home. Could they have missed it when they checked her things or had she really been so lost she only thought she took her medication at Matt's?

Had she left it behind at her mother's? She had to question her own actions now, had she really been that out of it?

Madison went into the kitchen to make herself some breakfast. Matt had told her when she first arrived he loaded up on food. He hadn't been joking. She had everything she could think of and more. It was a good thing too, Madison was starving. The fright she had gotten last night had passed, and now in the early morning light, she felt ridiculous for jumping at shadows when it was probably just her forgetfulness again.

She had been a forgetful child. She had misplaced things left and right. Madison remembered being constantly in trouble with her mother because of it. Could it be possible, because of her return, her forgetfulness returned as well?

It seemed strange to Madison. She was never like this in New Mexico, but now that she was back in Dahlia, given the circumstances and her lack of sleep lately, maybe she was just forgetting and needed to give herself a break.

Matt never called, Madison reminded herself. It hit a sensitive nerve. She hadn't heard from him, but then she conceded she wasn't his family. She wasn't anything to him, but a murder suspect and relation to the deceased. So what if they kissed, it didn't mean that it would happen again. Madison shook her head at her own ridiculousness. It's not likely it will ever happen again either. Madison chided herself, when she heard the knock on the front door.

Quickly, she walked through the house to find Matt standing at her door. He didn't look good. His hair was a mess, his sweatshirt and jeans heavily wrinkled underneath his heavy jacket. His face was shadowed, he hadn't shaved. His eyes were tired and bruised as he looked at her. She opened the door wide to allow him inside.

"Matt," Madison whispered softly. "What happened?"

He walked in, but only to where he could stand right next to her. She was what he needed to get him through this whole ordeal. Matt's hand reached up and cupped her cheek, and without a word he leaned into her. His lips softly touched hers, while he brushed his body against her before taking a slow step back.

Madison's heart was pounding in her chest. That fist coiled up tight in her stomach with just that single kiss. Madison felt her knees go weak. The man had a way of making her entire system go into overdrive and he had done nothing more than kiss her.

Matt took her hand, needing contact with her. Closing the door behind them, he maneuvered them into the living room. He didn't speak which only worried Madison. Something must have gone wrong last night. He wasn't acting like himself.

"Josh was the only survivor of the crash," Matt admitted after sitting down and taking a moment to gather himself. "Mom and Dad are gone."

"Oh God," Madison whispered, understanding how traumatic this situation was for him, his son, and his family. His words struck Madison hard. His mother had been a mentor to her, an angel who helped her so long ago get out of this town. His father was equally kind to her and treated her with respect. She felt a loss that she never felt even when her own mother died.