Chapter 12

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 12

Peyton was at the office until midnight working on Madison's case. Now, at 3 a.m., she had finally put on her pajamas, taken her hair down out of the professional bun she wore and sat on her bed. Her feet ached from the high heels she wore that day. Her eyes burned from the hours of research she had put in and her night still wasn't over, not by a long shot. If she wanted to prove that Madison Stone didn't kill her father, she was going to be working around the clock until she could find a way to put some holes hole in the prosecutor's case.

Madison had no alibi. Her story of taking some vacation time and not being available by phone didn't help her case. Everyone Peyton knew had a cell phone nowadays. The hotel that Madison claims to have stayed at had no record of her staying there, just as Madison said they wouldn't. She paid with cash and had not made her reservation ahead as most would when planning a vacation. She had just stopped on her drive when she got tired and found a place to stop. Being a small operation, the hotel manager said that most of his clientele paid by cash, and since most preferred privacy, no names were usually taken when the room was paid up front.

Peyton's view of this case became dimmer by the minute as she checked further into Madison's story. No one knew where she was, no one could vouch for her at the hotel, she drove her own car and paid cash. There was no trail to follow. Unfortunately Madison had a reason to want Pierce Stone dead. It was the oldest reason in the world - money. Lots of money.

Madison was in sorry shape as far as finances went. Getting her hands on Stone's money would have solved a lot of problems for her. From what Peyton saw, the possibility of Madison killing her father was not only present but plausible.

The files were opened and paperwork spread out over her bed so Peyton could see everything she would be dealing with. This wasn't going to be a simple case. Slipping on her wire-rimmed glasses, Peyton folded her legs under her and took a sip of the cold coffee that sat on her nightstand, Peyton worked. She had gotten used to the long days and longer nights of work, but this was the case that could make her career. She had to win if she wanted to become a partner in the firm any time soon.

The fax machine beeped and paper began to spit out. Peyton had been waiting for the prosecutor to send her the documentation the police had compiled in order to charge Madison. Circumstantial evidence wasn't enough to arrest her. They had to have strong evidence proving Madison had killed her father.

Peyton reached over and pulled the first sheet off the machine. It was the itemized list of Madison's belongings that had been checked in at the time of her arrest. Peyton scanned through the list. Wallet, lipstick, loose change, medication, nothing on the list seemed out of the ordinary for a woman's purse.

It had been checked in by Officer Jerry Sterno and supervisor Sheriff Brody. It had been checked back to the accused by Officer Sam Tyner. Her eyes narrowed, her brows drew together as she read the paper. The police had been sloppy. The lists didn't match. Madison's medication was missing on the check out list.

Quickly, Peyton reached for the next fax. It was the one she was waiting for, a copy of the will. Pierce Stone had a will in which he left Madison some sort of old box. It didn't seem like something you would kill someone over, but perhaps it contained something more valuable. Something that more than one person would want. The question hung in her mind as she read the will thoroughly.

The will was clear and concise. The estate was to be sold off. The monies received from the sale were to be given to specific charities as were any of his liquidated funds. So the man felt the need to clear his conscience by giving to those in need after he took from so many when he lived.