Chapter 11

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 11

He left the station immediately, afraid of getting caught and stood on the darkened street. The light overhead illuminated the front entrance to the station. He could see Madison at the desk, her purse now on her shoulder as she signed for her belongings. He chuckled to himself knowing what was missing.

The puzzlement on her face made him smile. Yes, he thought, a brief but small surge of victory twitched in his veins. She doubted herself. She had been upset when she was brought in. He had watched as the officer fingerprinted her, and took her belongings before he stuffed her into a cell.

It was satisfying to know things were starting to go right, despite the fact he still didn't have what he was looking for. It was just a matter of time. He has the ability now to search the house again, without interruption. That will give him the opportunity he needs.

They walked out into the bitter cold in silence with Madison still confused about her medication. She knew it had been in her purse. That was her habit, it didn't change.

Matt opened the car door for her before shutting it behind her and quickly rounded the hood to get in on the driver's side. He slid in and turned the key then cranked up the heat and waited for the air to heat up.

Madison stared through the windshield and saw her reflection in the side mirror. Who was she trying to fool? She didn't belong here, in this town much less with Matt McKennan as her knight in shining armor.

The movement in the distance caught Madison's attention. She focused on the shadow across the street and saw a man in a dark overcoat turn and disappear into the shadows. She narrowed her eyes and concentrated on him. She knew him, recognized him. From where, and who he was, she didn't know.

Something chillingly familiar and eerie crept up her spine. It was the same creepy sensation she always got in the middle of the night as a child. It was the feeling of being watched that was now upon her again.

Her hands went damp, her skin clammy. Madison felt the nervous wave of nausea hit her when her stomach clenched. She knew him, and remembered that sinking feeling. Who was he and what did he have to do with her.

"I want to go home," Madison murmured softly. Not to her mother's, she thought, and not to Matt's, but home. Far away from this town, away from this place where once again she could hide from this feeling that was haunting her.

"I know," Matt said. He wished there was something more he could do to make Madison see that she wasn't alone. "Cassie said you two had an argument."

Madison's head snapped around and she was focused on Matt's statement. Suddenly hoping to banish this feeling of dread that was filling her. Cassie had promised her she wouldn't say a word. That was one promise she shouldn't have trusted.

"She has been butting into my life since Travis brought her home. She means well, Madison, but... she doesn't always handle it right."

"Please, take me home," Madison said softly, wondering if she should just get out of the car now and find a cab to get to the old house.

"I am," Matt said deflated and put the car into reverse. "I don't want you to think Cassie meant you weren't good enough for me.... I don't feel that way, Madison." He had to explain this while he had her trapped in the car and she couldn't run away from him. "I know you're good enough for any of us... all of us."

Madison cringed. He didn't understand. "Please, Matt. I'm tired.  I've had a long day. I've got a migraine and I can't find my medication.  I just want some quiet and some sleep in my own bed."