Chapter 14

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 14

Madison didn't come by the house like she said she would. Nor did she even bother to call. Matt was getting worried about her. He saw her in the distance at the funeral service, but she didn't approach any of the family.

Peyton updated him on the case, but never mentioned if Madison was upset or if she had asked about him. It seemed strange. Matt thought she would have come to him. He had left the door open for her to come to if she needed him. He had let her know he wanted her, hadn't he, or had he? Now he questioned himself. Did she not understand that he is interested in her?

"Great job, Matt. Just leave the girl hanging," he told himself as he got into the truck.

The drive out to the rickety old house was filled with questions. Matt wasn't sure which subject he should approach first, the case or the questions he had about her personally.

He never meant to have feelings for her. Hell, he hadn't wanted to have feelings for anyone, but somehow she had gotten under his skin. The fact he was feeling her sudden absence in his life was driving him nuts.

He wanted to see her, talk to her, touch her. That was new, and annoying him. The kiss they shared was keeping him up at night wanting more, wondering what it would be like when he did take her into his bed. He needed to see her and find out if what he had felt in that first kiss was only one-sided or if she had felt it too. She had to have felt something, there's no way she could kiss him like that and not feel something, Matt decided.

Madison had to calm her nerves. The house was closing in on her and the more time she spent there alone the worse things were getting. She was losing everything, including her mind.

It seemed every time she set something down it was gone. Every time she did something, it was undone. She felt eyes on her constantly and was now scared out of her wits. She was losing her mind and there was no doubt about it.

And no one to help her.

That night with the fire and then the bath had been just the beginning of the nightmare she was now living in . She would put a pot on the stove only to find it missing. The food was right back in the containers. She would make her bed and go into the bathroom to come out to a messy bed. She couldn't think straight about anything and she was constantly doubting herself.

Just like her mother used to do.

It felt like she was losing her mind, spiraling slowly out of control and there's no one there to help her, no one cares enough about her when she hits bottom. She would be found guilty of a murder she didn't commit because even now she couldn't be sure of herself.

He found her on her front porch sitting in the old swing, sipping on a cup of hot chocolate. Matt laughed for the first time in days when he saw her. She was bundled up in a thick blanket, her legs tucked in under her, her hands cupping her mug and a wool hat pulled down over her ears. As he got closer to her, the comical scene lost its humor.

Her eyes were tired and shadowed black and blue. The stress on her face made her seem older, alone and in fear. She didn't look like the same woman he had seen not a week before. She looked like she hadn't slept in a month. What happened to her?

Madison looked surprised when he got out of the black SUV. He was the last person she expected to see. There was fear in her eyes, that cold hand of fear creeping down her spine, telling her she was in trouble. He wasn't here as a friend. Matt is a cop. He's here about the case. He must be ready to arrest her again, it was all she could think of.

"I see you're still out here," he greeted her as he walked up the steps. Once again, Matt would have to coax her out of her shell.

Matt nudged her to move over. Madison uncurled her legs and shifted herself to the far side of the swing as Matt sat down next to her. His arm stretched out on the back of the swing and waited a moment for her to speak.