Chapter 18

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 18

Travis had heard about the fire over the radio. Once a couple of the officers were at the house with Cassie, he raced out to see if Michael and Madison were okay. Driving up the unmaintained gravel road, Travis was just in time to see Matt, Michael and Madison coming out of the house, with a cloud of black smoke billowing from the building. The hole they were emerging from wasn't where the front door had been, but rather next to it, where a window once was and had been busted out.

Travis breathed a sigh of relief knowing his brothers were safe. Watching the fire roar through the house, he's amazed that they weren't harmed. The flames shot up into the night sky, lighting up the woods around them. They were fortunate to make it out alive.

Madison closed her eyes briefly, bowing her head in defeat as she continued to be led away from the flames and smoke by the EMT. There was no point in pursuing the truth now. The only place she knew would remotely have any answers was now burning to the ground. Any hopes of finding evidence to keep her out of jail were smoldering along with it. Things couldn't look worse for her at that moment. She might as well accept what was about to come and head straight over to the jail. It was where she was going to end up sooner or later.

Travis crossed the road toward them nodding to his brothers, signaling that everything was okay at home. "Daniel came home as soon as I called him. He had just driven up as I was leaving."

Matt nodded and moved out of the way as one of the ladder crews moved in. "He's getting bolder, braver." Travis yelled over the sound of the fire as they continued moving out of the way of the fire crews.

When they had been ushered a safe distance away from the house, Madison fell to her knees coughing, the smoke in her throat continuing to rage. The paramedic handed all three of them bottles of water and began to examine Madison.
She didn't fight the exam, but refused to look up at the three brothers hovering over her, watching her as if she were made of glass. A mask was slipped over her face and oxygen pumped into her. She continued to cough the smoke from her lungs as her chest burned with every breath she took. She didn't think she would ever breathe the same again.

Matt and Michael both were in agreement with Travis's statement. "The son of bitch thinks he's in control now," Matt hoarsely whispered, coughing out more of the smoke. His anger simmered just barely under his control.

Shaking his head, Michael refused the oxygen the paramedic offered. But the medic insisted he take it. Michael didn't argue a second time and was immediately breathing in the fresh air and coughing out the smoke.

Matt was angry at himself for not being there for Madison. He should have known better. None of this should have happened. Who was doing this? The fire and the break in never should have happened.

He can only conclude that they were all being watched now. Matt couldn't figure out what this person was really after. Are they after Cassie, Madison or all of them? The one thing he knew for certain, they couldn't leave either of the women alone now.

"She has to come home with us," Matt announced softly to his brothers so Madison couldn't hear the conversation.

"Yeah, she does. But Matt, it has to be her choice," Travis agreed, knowing exactly how helpless Matt was feeling at that moment. "You can't force her."

"The hell I can't," Matt's temper flared angrily. "I'm not gonna lose her because of this."

Travis raised his eyebrows at the statement. He's never seen Matt get worked up over a woman. Even over Lindsey, Matt loved her but he knew she could take care of herself. Madison is different.