Chapter 23: Turning Point

HANGE'S POV

Despite all of our best efforts to look for Commander Erwin, we failed and it's already been three years. Levi and his squad searched thoroughly every location possible, but to find nothing.

We even asked for help from Hitch who's in the Military Police, but even she, doesn't have any idea where they locked Erwin in.

We couldn't revolt against the Zachary and the rest of the Military branch because we are greatly outnumbered and even if we use Eren and Armin's power it would just be a massacre and deaths of innocent people.

Haysst, Erwin did you even anticipate this?

I can't believe I will have the burden as the Commander of the Survey Corps, this is so hard. Historia couldn't do a thing even if we pleaded for help, she tried reaching out for the other Commanders such as Pixis and Zachary but the anger and resentment is still blocking their judgement for the unnecessary lost of their soldiers.

Are they for real?! After all we've done?! But I can't help but to see their point, we shouldn't have rushed it.

For the past three years we've encountered 30 Marleyan ships. Eren used his powers to capture them, but suddenly some of them offered to support this island they were called the volunteers. Yelena with the help of Onyakopon we manage to enhance our technology, learn about the outside world, created a railway and have a bilateral talk to the Hizuru Azumabito nation ambassador Kiyomi who introduced us to their latest technology as an exchange for Iceburst crystal agreement.

After a month we had a meeting with the higher officials and Kiyomi to discuss the plan to defend Paradis from incoming attackers. Kiyomi suggested the rumbling that is recommended by Zeke. They suggested that they should turn Historia into a Titan in order to fully use Eren's potential. But I'm still considering other options because I care about Historia. Eren is prohibited from talking with any Marleyan volunteers only the higher officers are allowed.

After a few days I'm now guiding them in extending the rails out of the wall in order to minimize the travel time.

The Sun is directly onto but the temperature is not that hot because of the strong winds of the noon and presumably because the area is near to the sea.

Levi guided his squads to their tasks and then short after it he heads towards me with a frown in on his face.

Eren, Mikasa and Armin are currently talking about something, while Jean and others are hammering the rails to strengthen the foundations.

"Hange, it seems impossible to find Erwin, Three years is a lot don't you think." Levi mutters. "We already filed a notion for reconsideration to free Erwin and they're still thinking about it."

"I don't know what to do anymore." I say lowering my head. " I did suggested that we should go and see the other side of the sea, but I don't know if I can initiate it without Erwin."

I sigh thinking everything will fall apart without Erwin.

"Sorry Levi." I say while gazing on a dusty sand below my boots. "I don't even know if I'm capable of handling Erwin's burden."

"Hange.." Levi starts. "Erwin choosed you to be his successor for a reason." He places his hand onto my shoulders. "I will support your decisions, now that you're the Commander of the Survey Corps do whatever you can, with Erwin or not we must carry on."

"Yeah." I slowly raise my head shifting my gaze to his stoic eyes. "Thank you so much." I place my hand on top of his hands on my shoulder and give him a wholehearted smile.

I felt the warmness of his hand-

Suddenly he quickly releases his hand from my soft grasp. " We need to go back to work." He hastily says as he turns around to his squad and awkwardly walks away.