My Secret Feelings

Five years ago

Konan

It was early in the afternoon and I had nothing to do. College graduation was coming up for me meaning I no longer had any classes to take. For the past four years, I have been studying hard in both business and graphic design. I'm not graduating top of my class but I am graduating which is a good thing. On top of that, I'm graduating with my best friend Rin Nohara,

The two of us have been through everything together. We met as kids, went to the same schools, studied together, played together, etc. For prom we couldn't get dates so we decided to go together as friends. She wore a flowing light pink dress with silver heels and silver hoop earrings while I wore a fitted lilac purple dress with white heels and a necklace.

That day was the start of everything for me. I had always felt myself wanting to be close to her. At first, I thought she was nothing but a close friend that I wanted to give all my time to but on that prom night dancing together under the fluorescent lights and laughing I realized she was everything to me.

She was the person I wanted to make sure had a smile on her face at all times. Who I wanted to make sure was safe. Who I wanted to hold at night after a long day of work. Cook dinner together while listening to music. Cuddle in bed while watching a movie. Who I was in love with.

For years I have kept my feelings hidden from her. I've had multiple opportunities to tell her but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The fear of losing her was too great. I needed her in my life. I needed her smile to brighten up my day and make me feel as if it was just the two of us but things were different now.

I'm no longer scared of the what if and plan on telling her about my long-time feelings for her. If she accepts my feelings great, if not I'm hoping we can still be friends. That's what I was hoping to do today. That's what I wanted to do today but we don't always get what we want. I realized that as I stated at the message on my phone.

I asked her to meet with me in the school cafe. The cafe here also served as a lounge area giving comfort for the students who wanted to relax after classes or in between classes or needed a quiet comforting place to study for exams. I knew this place would be perfect. We had spent a lot of time here together. It was the perfect place to say goodbye.

When the door to the lounge opened I looked up and saw her wearing a light blue crop top with black pants and black and white sneakers. "Hey bestie". I smiled as she made her way over to the couch I was sitting on and sat next to me.

"Thanks for coming, do you want something to eat or drink? It's on me". "No thank you. I'm more curious as to what this news of yours is about". I smiled nervously looking to the side. "So you know how we uh both started applying for jobs"?

"Yeah, the chances of us getting hired without any experience is low but we were both willing to take the risk". "Exactly, that's what I wanted to talk to you about". Her smile dropped. "Don't tell me they turned you down"?

"That's just it, I applied for jobs in town but I also applied for jobs outside of town and one of them accepted my application. I start the day after graduation". She hugged me tight. "That's great I'm so happy for you!

How far outside of town is it"? She asked letting me go. I looked at her sadly. "Rin, your my best friend, and I'm sorry I didn't tell you what I was doing but the job offer not only is outside of town but the country".

She back away a little giving me a are you serious look. "So let me get this straight, you applied to a job outside of the country without telling me? Did you plan on leaving in the middle of the night without telling me"? "Of course not. I applied to jobs that would be best suited for me just like you did".

"No, I applied for good jobs that would allow me to stay in the same town as my best friend". "You're mad, you have every reason to be mad at me but I'm begging you to try and understand my side of things. You know where I come from and the situation I'm in".

Her scowl slowly faded away at the mention of that. Rin was the only person who knew about the poverty my parents were in as well as how hard I've been studying to help them.

"I'll forgive you but your ass better call me".

"I promise". We hugged.

Word Count: 858