chapter 4(edited)

BEFORE THE DOCTOR CAME OUT OF ICU
All members were in the waiting area right now. Some of them were sitting wherever they got the space, and others were standing nearby. They were all lost in their guilt-stricken thoughts and blamed themselves for their maknae’s condition. As always, Scoups was the first one to speak his thoughts out loud.

Scoups: I failed him. It is all my fault. I am the leader and the eldest, I am supposed to look after him and you all, but I was not there for our Channie. He came to me a few times to talk, but stupid me said we would talk later, I am busy. I ignored him when he needed me the most, and now when he is lying in the hospital, I am craving to hear his loud laughter or his whining whenever I used to tease him. I would do anything to see him smiling again.

Scoups’s head was down, and his shoulders were shaking, a clear sign that he was crying silently. No one has seen him this broken before.

Jeonghan (trying to comfort him): It is not your fault alone. We all are Dino’s culprits. So don’t beat yourself down just because you are the eldest. All of us are equally responsible.

Scoups (not convinced at all): How am I supposed to face him after all this? I just pray to God that he wakes up fast.

All the others were listening to this conversation silently. They were contemplating their actions towards their maknae in the last month or so. They don’t even know clearly when it all started, but all of them can remember at least one time when they ignored Dino. They were feeling guilty to the core.

Woozi (not being able to take it anymore): If you are feeling like this even when you just neglected him, then think about how I am feeling. I did so much worse, and I deserve so much worse. Just some time ago, I could see how bad his condition was, but I still kept saying harsh things. You know what is frustrating me the most right now, knowing him, that he is going to forgive all of us so easily, which he should not. He should make us beg for forgiveness.

Woozi was literally pulling his hair with anger and frustration by now. These feelings were not directed towards anyone else but himself. He was feeling so lost, and music was the only way for him to find his bearings back. Also, he wanted to make something special for Dino.

Woozi: I am going out for some time. Please inform me as soon as Dino wakes up.

He left saying this, and others nodded their head as they knew where he was headed as music is the only outlet for his feelings.

AFTER DOCTOR CAME OUT OF ICU:

Scoups: Doctor, how is Dino now? Has he woken up?

Doctor: I can’t say much right now, but he has not woken up yet. We are keeping an eye on his vitals as his body has gone beyond exhaustion and is in survival mode now. It is going to take some time for him to wake up. It could be days or weeks until his body is healed enough to wake up. When was the last time Dino did a check-up for his illness, because it has been a long time since he came to me?

All of them were soaking all the information given to them by the doctor, but the last question threw them off. They were confused as there was no mention of any kind of illness related to Dino ever.

Jun: What do you mean? This is the first time he fell sick.

Doctor: So, he never told you guys? He has a von Willebrand. He came to the hospital one time when one bruise on his arm would not stop bleeding. He was alone at that time, but he is an adult, so I didn’t question anyone anyone else knowing.

Scoups (on high alert after hearing about the illness): Doctor, what kind of illness is this? This is the first time I have heard about it.

Doctor: Von Willebrand disease is a bleeding disorder caused by the qualitative or quantitative deficiency of the pro-von Willebrand factor. Affected people may complain of excessive bruising, prolonged bleeding from mucosal surfaces, and prolonged bleeding after minor trauma.

Jeonghan (thoughtful): It is normal in our profession to get some bruises while practicing, but they heal normally. That’s why Dino still has so many bruises on his body.

Manager: Doctor, since when Dino is sick.

Doctor: Most people have this disease since birth, but it is hard to diagnose, and it doesn't have any proper treatment. So, the person must be careful. People around him should take care and keep him out of danger and away from over-exerting his body.

Guilt came back tenfold after hearing the doctor’s words. All of them stood there stuck in their thoughts. It was important to care of Dino. Not only was he their maknae, but he was getting hurt more than anyone in his position because of his illness. They failed him in more than one way. One of them should have been there when he came to the hospital for the first time. They came out of their thoughts when the doctor spoke again.

Doctor: Has anyone informed his parents?
Manager: Yes, I called them, and they are on their way.
Mingyu: Hyung (to Manager), did you know about his illness?
Manager (sighed): No, I didn't. I love him like my little brother, but I didn't know he was suffering from illness. I hate myself now. I always saw him how he was tired. There were many times he couldn't walk, and I helped him. But I thought it was all because he was working too much.

There was one person who was crying silently while hearing all this. Wonwoo is an introvert who does not show his emotions. But he was not able to keep this all bottled up. He was always Dino’s number one supporter, but he has not made any effort to speak with Dino since the Woozi-Dino conflict. He did not want the conflict to blow by blatantly supporting Dino in front of Woozi and The8, so he stayed silent, which was his biggest mistake.

All of them felt ashamed of themselves for all these years living together and didn't know about their Maknae’s illness.

When Dino's family came, his mom was crying, and dad was panicked, so they didn't notice the members at first and went straight to the doctor.

Chan's father: Doctor, how is my son?
Doctor: Your son is under observation. His body has suffered too much and might take a lot of time to heal.
Chan's mother: What happened to him?
Doctor: His illness had put his body in survival mode, so that is why his fever wouldn't go down, and his nosebleed took some time to stop.
Chan’s mother: Doctor, my son doesn't have any illness. What do you mean by his illness?

His parents were shaken by the news. Chan was young when he became a trainee and did not spend much time with his parents for them to know about his illness.

Doctor: I take that you guys are unaware of his illness as well. These guys will fill you in as I have to go check on other patients.
The doctor left, and Dino’s parents turned their faces to the members who had their heads hung in shame.