CHAPTER 2

Friday 6pm

Winter's P.O.V.

"It's freezing! Why is it so cold?!" I shivered, clutching my jacket as I entered the warmth of the coffee shop on campus. It was the end of my first week at my new university and I was relieved to have a few days to become accustomed to campus life. Having started later in the semester, there was so much to catch up on but my passion for music remained my ultimate inspiration.

"Well it is January, it does tend to get cold in winter." Ning Ning stated matter-of-factly as we managed to find an empty table in the crowded room beside the window.

"It was a rhetorical question! Just let me complain in peace." I muttered in dismay but with a small smile.

" I muttered in dismay but with a small smile

Ning Ning smiled before passing me a menu. "Why aren't you wearing your scarf?"

"I left it in my locker and it's so far to go back.." I whined, leaning my head on my arms on the table.

Ning Ning laughed as she glanced over the extensive menu. "It's literally next door you're just lazy~"

I rolled my eyes as we chose 2 hot coffees and cookies to order. "Let's just get a coffee here and wait for the snow to stop."

"Fine..." I replied, trailing after her to order at the counter.

We waited in the queue that was moving slowly as I leaned my head on Ning Ning's shoulder tiredly. "Cheer up! You know there's a party in one of the dorms next week. You can get to know more people on campus."

"I already know you, that's plenty." I stated, making her laugh.

"Winter, it'll be nice for you to talk to more people on your course." Ning Ning said as she placed our order. We watched as the baristas made the freshly brewed coffee, one of whom seemed particularly shy glancing at me with a small smile. I smiled back and watched as she was creating intricate patterns in the froth, placing the drinks into to-go cups.

"But you know I'm an introvert. I'll literally spend the whole week hoping the party is cancelled just so I don't have to think of an excuse not to go." I muttered, collecting our orders as we wandered across the room near our table.

We meandered through the crowd of people again as Ning Ning sat down with her drink. "Come on, Winter! Please don't make me to go to the party by myself, I'm sure you'll have fun but if you don't like it then we'll go after an hour, okay?"

I shrugged my shoulders but agreed hoping to make some more friends on campus. I stood up, collecting napkins from a nearby counter with a selection of coffee flavourings to sample. Reading each one carefully, I was lost in thought by the sound of each delicious flavour.

Suddenly a voice from behind me leaned in close against my ear, making me startled. "We meet again, Winter."

I quickly turned around nervously to find the student council president smiling widely at me. She looked as flawlessly beautiful as she had just the other day. "Karina?"