57.

The sound of my blood rushing in my ears was so intense I couldn't hear anything except for Kuroo's voice reverberating in my head over and over again.

Only marginally did I notice him walking past me in Arisa's direction.

"It's not yours."

I should feel relieved. That would be the most logical reaction to the fact that a child I didn't know about was not mine. So why the hell didn't I feel any relief?

Why the hell did it feel like my throat was being choked off with every step Kuroo took towards Arisa?

My eyes fell on the baby in her arms. It was still lying with its head on Arisa's shoulder, rubbing its eyes. Atsumu was saying something while waving his hands around, Bokuto was trying to beckon her towards him and Hinata was making faces. All their efforts failed to impress the child.

But as soon as Kuroo came into its field of vision, the baby lifted its head with a smile. The black-haired man made the same gesture as Bokuto, with the difference that the little girl immediately jumped into his arms.

No.

"Slow down!" I heard Arisa say, but despite her reprimanding undertone, she smiled at the sight that presented itself to her.

No. God, no.

Kuroo hold the baby up, bringing the little belly to his mouth to blow against it. A cheerful laugh escaped her, so loud her pacifier fell out of her mouth. He tickled her, kissed her, and threw her up into the air a few times, which made her laugh even more, before Arisa said something that made him stop. Kuroo still held the baby in his arms, who smiled and slapped him on the face with both hands, whereupon Arisa smilingly took the baby's hands in her own, gently saying something, whereupon she snuggled back into Arisa's arms. Kuroo next to her, gently stroked the baby's tangled strands out of her face before deciding to retie her little braid.

Fuck.

Fuck my heart hurts.

Calm down.

Calm down.

I tried to calm my breathing, but it was hard. Why the fuck was it so stuffy in here?

I thought I needed to talk to Arisa before, but now? Fuck I was in need to talk to someone, anyone. Someone who could assure me that this was not her child.

But that idea turned out to be more difficult than expected. With the new star in the group, it was nearly impossible to start a conversation with anyone and whereas time had passed in slow motion before that child came into vision, it felt like someone had hit double speed after. I only noticed in passing how the table was eventually cleared off for dessert. It was not until Arisa brought the baby, which had fallen asleep in her arms, upstairs that I felt like I could finally breathe again. Think again. And realize that I spent the past hour sitting there in a daze.

"I hate to kick you out," Arisa rested her forearms on the back of the chair as she spoke to us standing up. "But it's already late and our bride and groom-to-be have a special day tomorrow."

Smiling, she looked at her aunt who gave Meian a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey! Not in front of everyone," our captain hissed to his fiancée with red cheeks.

"Why not?" Grinning, she snuggled up to him, which made him blush even more. "Tomorrow we'll be kissing in front of everyone after all~"

"That's different."

"Is it~?"

Thank God Arisa cleared her throat, which made Sonoko let go of Meian. I would never have thought it possible that our usually so discreet captain had picked up a woman who enjoys PDA. I'm not saying he knew what he was getting himself into, but... he knew what he was getting himself into.