forgiveness

Henry's face turned red, but he didn't back down. He knew he was wrong and deserved the cold shoulder from her. He took a deep breath and tried to calm himself down.

"Look, I know I was an asshole before..." He started.
"Yeah, you really, really were."
"I get it. I don't blame you for hating me. But I can't stop feeling like this about you, Lily. I've tried. It's just... I can't explain it."
"You think after all this I would ever date you!?"
"Of course not, I was just trying to explain why I can't stop thinking about you. I know it's stupid and selfish of me. I'm sorry for everything I've ever done to hurt you."
"Sorry doesn't cut it, you ruined my life."

Henry's eyes widened at her harsh words. He knew she was right; he couldn't undo the past or the pain he'd caused. He took a step back, his shoulders slumping slightly.

"I know it doesn't, Lily."
"And- you just expect to come here weeks later, say you're sorry and ask me out!?"
"I know it's a lot to ask, but I promise I've changed. I won't be that person anymore. And... I just really like you, Lily. I know I messed up, but please, can you at least give me a chance to prove myself?"
"No."
"..I understand."

Henry knew he deserved her answer. He had been nothing but cruel to her in the past. He turned around and started walking away, his shoulders slumped in defeat.
"I'll give you some space then."

A few weeks later.

As the days turned into weeks, Henry found himself thinking about Lily more than ever. He missed their arguments, their laughter, even their silent moments. He knew he needed to prove himself to her, but he also respected her decision for space.
Lily found herself thinking about Henry even more, she knew it was bad, and she definitely still hated him, but she couldn't help but wonder if he actually had changed.
One day, feeling the urge to finally prove himself, Henry decided to visit Lily again. He walked slowly towards her house, his heart pounding with nerves and anticipation.

"Henry.. what are you-?"
Jumped slightly, his heart racing even faster as he turned around to face Lily.
"I... I came to apologize again, Lily. And to show you that I've changed. I know it's not enough, but I really want another chance."

Henry took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. He knew he deserved the reluctance, but he also knew he couldn't live without her.

"I'll be quiet, I just want you to know that I'm serious about this." He spoke.
"I- I dont- you and Bianca- you both ruined my life. I- I can't forgive you-" She stuttered.
"Bianca and I are over, Lily," Henry confessed, his voice low and sincere. "I ended things with her because I realized she wasn't who I wanted. I want you, Lily."
"No! This is probably some other prank you and her have set up!"
"I can understand why you would think that," he admitted, "but it's not. I'm being honest with you."

Henry paused, waiting for her response. He knew he had to give her time and space, but he couldn't help hoping she would eventually forgive him.

"I used to think of you as someone who would never, ever hurt me. And you- you and Bianca- you threw that so far out the room-" She said, starting to tear up as she remembered everything he'd done to her.

Henry's heart sank as he saw the tears forming in her eyes. He hated that he'd made her feel this way. "I know, Lily. I'm so sorry for everything I put you through. I just want another chance to prove myself to you. I promise you, I will do everything in my power to make it right. Please, just give me a chance." He wiped away her tears gently with his thumbs. "I can't imagine my life without you in it."
"But- the damage has been done." She cried.

He understood that she might never forgive him, but he hoped with everything inside him that she would give him a chance. He continued to wipe away her tears and held her hand gently. "Please, Lily."
"I- I'm sorry- I cant-" She sobbed.
"I get it. I'll give you all the time you need. Just know that I'm here for you whenever you're ready." He squeezed her hand softly before letting go, stepping back slightly to give her space.