waiter

Lily was at a restaurant on a date with a boy. Her waiter, Henry, who was working to pay Ray back for some wasted food, was about to take their order. Henry approached the table with a fake smile plastered on his face, trying to hide his annoyance at being made to do this. He cleared his throat and readied his pad and pen.

"Hello there, I'm Henry."
"Hey.."
"What can I get for you two tonight?" Henry asked, trying his best to sound cheerful.
"Umm, can I get the boneless chicken strips please?"
"And would you like a side of fries with that?" He asked, already mentally calculating the tip in his head.
"Yes, please."
"Great choices. One order of boneless chicken strips and a side of fries coming up for you. Anything else?" He scribbled down their order and couldn't wait to get back to his station.

"I want a quadruple hamburger, and an extra large fries." Her date spat.
"We don't have an extra large fries." "Make one, duh." Her date said. Henry sighed inwardly. He hated when customers were like this.
"Alright, I'll see what I can do." He replied, trying to maintain a professional tone despite his annoyance.

As Henry walked away, he heard the girl whisper, "Mitch, why are you being such a prick?" then, he heard a loud bang on the table, he turned around. Henry turned around to see what had happened. He saw that Mitch, the girl's date, had slammed his fist on the table in anger. He walked over to the table.

"Is there a problem here?"
"No. We're just having a disagreement." Mitch said, trying to hide his annoyance. 15 minutes later, Henry brought out their food, he gave Mitch a large and a small fries to make an 'extra large'.
"Thank you.." The girl whispered as he put her plate down.

Henry smiled and nodded before moving on to the next table. As he walked back to the kitchen, he couldn't help but feel grateful that he only had a few more shifts left at this hellhole before he could go back to being Kid Danger. After they had eaten, Henry gave them the bill. They had decided they were going to pay for what they had eaten.

Mitch looked up at him as he walked away. "Oi! Get here!" Henry walked back over to the table, trying not to roll his eyes.
"Yes?"
"Why have I been charged for a large and a small fries?"
"Because that's what you got. I gave you one large fry and one small fry to make an extra large."
"I didn't ask for a large and a small, I asked for an extra large."
"Yes, but we don't sell an extra large." "That's not my problem!"
"Yes, it is."

Henry walked away, and a few minutes later, Lily came up to the bar.
"Hey.. is there any way I could get some help..? An angel shot..?"
"Of course, coming right up." Henry smiled and mixed the shot quickly before handing it over to her.
"Is there anything else I can get for you?"
"Do you know what an angel shot is?" "Of course I do. It's a popular drink..?" "Um, no.. It's fine." She sighed, walking away from the bar. Henry watched as she walked away, feeling a pang of guilt. He knew he should have been more careful with his words, but it was hard not to get frustrated after dealing with so many customers all day.

A couple minutes later, his coworker came up to him.
"Hey, do you know what an angel shot is?" Henry asked. "Yeah, it's a code word people use when they need to get away from their date." His coworker replied.
"Oh shit." Henry said. Henry felt his stomach drop. Now he knew why she had looked so uncomfortable. He couldn't believe he hadn't realized the double meaning behind her request for an angel shot.

"I... I'm sorry."
"Sorry for what!?" Mitch yelled.
"Sorry for.. charging you for a large and small fries."
"Good! Dick!" Mitch spat. Henry felt a wave of anger wash over him as Mitch insulted him. He tried to maintain his composure, but it was difficult.
"Look, I understand you're upset about the mix-up with your order." He said through gritted teeth. Henry and Mitch argued for a while, before Mitch screamed "The customer is always right!", and Henry gave up.

Lily went back to the bar, greeting Henry again.
"Can I please get that angel shot..?"
"Yeah, I'm so sorry. Go wait by the bathroom." Henry walked to security, and they had Mitch removed. Henry went to the bathroom, about to let Lily know Mitch was gone.

"Hey.."
"He's gone. I apologize for everything that happened."
"Thanks.." She said, playing with her sleeves. Henry looked at her, suddenly noticing how pretty she looked in the dim light.
"So, um... I know this is a really crappy date spot, but would you like to go somewhere else with me?"
"Now?"
"Yeah, if you like."
"Haven't you got to finish your shift?" "Shit. Yeah. Half eight?"
"Sounds good."

After finishing his shift, Henry met Lily at the front of the restaurant. They walked silently down the street, both lost in their thoughts. As they turned a corner, Henry noticed a small cafe with dim lighting and soothing music.

"We could go there..?"
"Sure, that sounds perfect." He held the door open for her and followed her inside. The warmth of the cafe enveloped them as they took a seat at a table near the window. They ordered their deserts, and got to talking.
"So.. how long have you worked at the restaurant?"
"Since it opened, about two months ago."
"Do you like it?"
"It's okay. The pay is good, and the people are nice enough. But it's not really what I want to do with my life." "Makes sense."

An hour later, they had finished their food, and left the cafe.
"I really enjoyed that, thanks."
"Yeah, me too. I had a great time." He said, smiling at her. The air was cool as they walked down the quiet street, their steps in sync.
"But you really didn't have to pay for me."
"I know, but it's the least I could do. Besides, I enjoyed talking to you." "Thanks." She chucked. "So, um... do you want to do this again sometime?" "I'd love that."

------------------------------------------------------
1074 words!! hope u enjoyedddd
also, I've got mocks in about a month so I'll be revising like crazy. I'm hoping to publish chapters on the weekends when I'm not revising but ill let u all know when I'll be pausing the book for two weeks when the mocks come arounddd